Oi, stay in your lane - have you gone insane?

Continuing my trip forward in time through the album charts

22/04/22 : Noughty By Nature - Digga D


I don't think I like Digga D, so I don't think I'm going to like this.  I'm hoping I'm wrong, but I really don't think I'm going to be.

Well, it's not my sort of thing but I didn’t completely hate it - the man’s got lyrical skills (although I'd be lying if I said I understood a lot of it) and there are some nice enough backing noises going on there as well.  I actually found it quite exhausting to listen to - but I appreciate I’m just old.  It's a surprisingly cute album cover though!

We're straight in at #1 this week - I struggle to imagine it will be around for long, but we'll see.  It was the only new entry in the top 30 and half of the top 30 had over 100 weeks on the chart, so I'd have to say my theory that the charts are stagnating is not exactly being disproved currently.  But maybe it's just going through a bad patch...

Wikipedia tells me this is a mixtape and not an album which sent me off down a bit of rabbit hole as to what the difference is - and the internet seems to suggest that mixtapes are, well, a bit like albums, but shitter.  Which feels like a bit of get-out clause for shit albums to me ("guys, you have to understand I always meant it to be a mixtape") but what do I know?  It does make the point that whilst producing this, Digga D was under a criminal behaviour order which prevented him from rapping about violence which, I'm afraid, strikes me as ABSOLUTE NONSENSE - but I wouldn't want to get political now, would I?  The man is no angel and I'm not in any way defending some of the stuff he's been up to, but getting all his music reviewed by the Met Police before release is not going to achieve anything imho (and I'd have to say I'm still not convinced that the content is entirely wholesome).

"Customers also listened to" - you know what, I don't know why I even bothered.  Of course I was never going to know any of them, but I'm sure they're all lovely fellas (and they are indeed all men).  Let's just say this isn't aimed at me and leave it at that - I suspect everyone would just roll their eyes if I claimed I was down with it (and quite rightly so too!).

15/04/22 - I really liked this
29/04/22 - A surprisingly enjoyable album

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves