When there are clouds in the sky, you'll get by

Continuing my trip forward in time through the album charts

01/04/22 : Higher - Michael Bublé




Our second and a bit visit with Mr Bublé in less than a week - I'm expecting cheese, but fine quality cheese.

And yeah, that's pretty much what we've got here - an album of mostly covers, done well.  I particularly liked "A Nightingale Sang In Berkeley Square" and "Make You Feel My Love" (I knew the latter was a cover, but I didn't know it was originally written by Bob Dylan).  I wasn't convinced by "Crazy", despite the inclusion of Willie Nelson to provide authenticity and I was intrigued by "You're The First, The Last, My Everything" because I couldn't decide whether I liked it or not.  And the album finishes up with "Smile" (which I didn't know was written by Charlie Chaplin) which I couldn't imagine him doing a bad version of - and he didn't, with a full retro thang going on.  Let's be honest, no-one needs this album (particularly over any other Michael Bublé album, I imagine) but it's perfectly listenable if you like this sort of thing.  I won't go looking for it, but I also won't go out of my way to avoid it.

We're at #1 in the chart this week with a new entry - I imagine he'll do a 4-6 week run before disappearing, but we'll see.  Other new entries in the top 10 are Machine Gun Kelly (#2), Placebo (#3 - I'm amazed they're still hanging around), Matt Goss (#7 - yup, that surprised me too) and Koffee (#9 - I checked this out and it's quite interesting).  We also had Foo Fighters climbing to #5 (from #76) after the untimely death of Taylor Hawkins last wek.

Wikipedia has very little on Michael's album - the critics didn't mind it, but couldn't really think of anything new to say about it.  But people just bought it anyway.  "Customers also listened to" more Bublé, Diana Krall and Tony Bennett - more high quality cheese!  And Bublé is up there with the best cheese producers - if you're a dairy fan, then you'll like this.

25/03/22 - A good example of "this sort of thing"
08/04/22 - A supremely inessential offering

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves