The night is dressed like noon

Continuing my trip forward in time through the album charts

08/04/22 : Unlimited Love - Red Hot Chili Peppers




I don't mind RHCP, but I can't help but feel their glory days are well and true behind them, so I'm struggling to imagine any other scenario in which I'd have bothered listening to this.  But you never know, I might love it.

Hmmm.  Well, I didn't hate it - but it did all feel very inessential to me and I struggle to remember any of it except for "Not The One" which is a surprisingly middle-of-the-road ballad, which wasn't at all what I was expecting.  I was also somewhat surprised to hear them namecheck The Thompson Twins in the same verse as Thin Lizzy and Led Zeppelin on "Poster Child", which seems like an odd musical combination - although it's funny when you remember how popular The Thompson Twins were back in the day.  They played the US section of Live Aid with Madonna - how weird is that when you think about it now?!?  Anyways, back to RHCP, I'm also very unconvinced by the album cover - it just looks a bit crap. 

We're at #1 in the charts this week with a new entry - the only one in the top ten with the next one being French The Kid at #21, who I can tell you absolutely nothing about.  All in all, it's an odd top ten with four of the albums having been in the charts for over 100 weeks - Eminem's Curtain Call greatest hits at #8 has 508 weeks now!

Wikipedia tells me that both John Frusciante and Rick Rubin are back for this album - this is John's third go on the RHCP merry-go-round and I know lots of people view him as the essential cog in the machine, but I haven't listened to any of their albums since Stadium Arcadium which was the last one he was on (way back in 2006!) so I can't really comment as to whether they've rediscovered the magic with him.  The critics basically liked it, although there are quite a few comments along the lines of "it's not the most memorable" but it went down well with the public, getting to #1 in quite a few countries, including the US.

"Customers also listened to" Foo Fighters, The Offspring and The Black Keys - all bands with similarities to and differences from RHCP.  As I said, I didn't hate this but there's absolutely no chance of me revisiting it and I suspect I won't be alone in this view - it will be interesting to see where it is next week on the charts.  I'll stick with Californication, thank you.

01/04/22 - Some high quality dairy produce
15/04/22 - I really liked this


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves