I'm high voltage, self-destructive

Continuing my trip forward in time through the album charts.

25/03/22 : Crash - Charli XCX



I'm a bit of a fan of the female singer/songwriter, dance-y thang and I'm aware of Charli and like her stuff without thinking it's top of that musical genre (personally, I would go for La Roux, Little Boots or Marina before her), but I really can't help but admire the confidence shown by a 29 year old (who signed her first record deal 12 years ago!).  I'm expecting more of the same from this...

...and it pretty much delivers - as long as you play it loud enough!  "Good Ones" and "Beg For You" are both very fine tracks indeed - and the rest of the album is perfectly acceptable as well.  It's not exactly breaking new ground, but it's an enjoyable enough listen if you like this sort of thing (which I do!).  I'm not convinced the album cover is looking to make me go "ewww - that fingernail" though...

We're straight in at #1 this week and the other new entries in the top ten are Arrdee (#2), Sea Girls (#3), Feeder (#5 - their 11th album!) and Sam Tompkins (#7) - I suspect none of them will be hanging around for too long.  And certainly not as long as Eminem's greatest hits which is back in the top ten again in its 509th week in the charts (on a run of 274 weeks!).

Wikipedia has a lot on the album (240 milliPeppers) - which is a surprising amount for a new album.  I'd have to say it amounts to remarkably little though - Charli says "she's working on a new album", Charli says "a new album is going to be released", Charlie says "here's a new album".  Meow!  And then the critics say "yeah we like that" and the general public do the same - #1 in Ireland and Australia and #7 in the US, which is a particularly fine effort.

"Customers also listened to" Camilla Cabello, Years And Years, Ella Henderson and George Ezra - which is a slightly odd mix.  Charli continues to produce pop of the most interesting variety though - I can't say I'll be rushing back to this, but I enjoyed it nonetheless.

01/04/22 - Some high quality dairy produce
18/03/22 - An indescribable but enjoyable experience

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves