I'm hard to love, I make idiot jokes

Continuing my trip back in time through the album charts

17/07/20 : None Of Us Are Getting Out Of This Life - The Streets


I know he's not everyone's cup of tea, but I don't mind a bit of Mr Skinner - particularly Original Pirate Material and A Grand Don't Come For Free, with the latter in particular being a very well crafted album.  However, I don't think I was even aware this album existed so that's possibly not the best sign ever - but let's see...

No, this is not up there with his highlights - he's lacking the variety of the previously mentioned albums and there just doesn't seem to be any point or story to any of the tracks, which is a shame.  And his vocal delivery is just flat in comparison with his best stuff and he's very keen on the c word, which like other such words just loses its impact when overused.  The title track in particular is just dreadful - very dreary repetition.  All in all, a disappointment.

We're at #2 in the charts with a new entry this week - I wasn't massively surprised to see he managed just one more week before disappearing.  The other new entries in the top ten are Juice WRLD (#1) and  DMAs (#4) - somewhat surprisingly, the next one was Big Country (who I LOVE!) at #23.  Again surprisingly, there's also a re-entry in the top 10 - Laura Marling at #6, which I suspect is some kind of physical release thing because it's her second week on the chart (out of two) after a week in March 2020.  But it's not a bad album at all.

Wikipedia doesn't have a lot on this album - the critics "generally favoured" it but the public didn't massively care for it except for one week over here.  And that's it.  "Customers also listened to" a load of people I've never heard of, which doesn't overly surprise me.  As for The Streets, I will continue to revisit AGDCFF, but will almost immediately forget this album even exists, I'm afraid.

10/07/20 - An odd album
24/07/20 - Fine, but nothing more

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves