And the world I knew has all gone by

Continuing my trip back in time through the album charts

10/07/20 : On Sunset - Paul Weller


Wow!  Our third visit with Mr Weller on the album charts in less than three years - is it going to be a case of Weller, Weller, Weller - ooh!?  My overall suspicion is that there's going to be nothing here which is going to trouble my view that Stanley Road is his best album.  But you never know, I might be surprised.

Hmmm - well.  This is an odd one and no mistake - I don't quite know how to describe it.  It's obviously Mr Weller, but he's taking one of his meanders through various musical genres and there are all sorts on here - for instance there's a surprising amount of oom-pah and Chas & Dave piano on the album, which I wasn't really expecting.  I didn't hate it, but I don't think it hung together as an album and I can't say I remembered any of it in the slightest.  It might be a grower given a chance, but that's just not going to happen, I'm afraid.

We're at #1 with a new entry this week - he certainly has a loyal fanbase and they managed to give him four weeks in the charts before he disappeared.  Other new entries in the top ten were Pop Smoke (#2), Katherine Jenkins (#3), Sparks (#7) and Bury Tomorrow (#10) - which is an eclectic mix and no mistake!

Wikipedia tells us the album features Mick Talbot of Style Council fame and the critics liked it.  And that's it.  "Customers also listened to" mostly people related in some way to Paul Weller, along with some other curiosities like Dexys, Hue And Cry and The Christians.  All a bit odd really - a bit like this album.

03/07/20 - We finally meet!
17/07/20 - A disappointment

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves