I usually have an answer to the question

Continuing my trip back in time through the album charts

07/08/20 : Legends Never Die - Juice WRLD


I heard the odd Juice WRLD track around this time due his unfortunate death earlier in the year and the huge number of conspiracy theories surrounding it (which both my daughters were bizarrely obsessed with).  I seem to recall not hating them (the songs, not my daughters), but I can't say any of them have stuck with me either.

And yeah, having listened to it, I can see why - it's quite close to stuff I really don't like, but he manages to keep it bearable.  Not enough for me to actually like it though - it's pretty generic US rappy stuff to me.  I'm happy to be told it's better than the average, but only because I couldn't be bothered to argue - if you like this then you're welcome to it.

We're at #4 in the chart this week - which is the joint lowest we've been and this is the only time we've been there without Ed, Adele and Abba occupying the top three slots, with Taylor, Fontaines DC and Pop Smoke (#1-3 respectively) taking the honours this week.  Juice was in his fourth week in the charts (having debuted at #1 obviously) and he's been in the charts ever since on a run of 93 weeks, but it feels like his time is coming to an end because he was at #98 this week.  The new entries in the top ten were Creeper (#5) and Alanis Morissette (#8 - and yes, as always I had to check which letters in her name were repeated and which ones weren't).

Wikipedia is going to have shedloads on this, isn't it?  Actually, it's only 185 milliPeppers, but that didn't mean I bothered reading it - they lost me at "In January 2020, a month following Juice Wrld's death, it was reported that at least two thousand songs were recorded before the rapper's passing".  Apparently the album holds the record for most top ten US singles for a posthumous album - which seems like a pretty specific record to me.  The critics generally liked the album, although there were a few comments that possibly not all the tracks were exactly essential.  The public didn't care though and lapped it up across the globe.

"Customers also listened to" loads of people I've never heard of, Kid Laroi (who I can totally see) and, errr, Ellie Goulding.  I'm sure there's a good reason for the Ellie connection, but I can't be bothered trying to find out what it is - this album isn't awful, but it's not for me, I'm afraid.

31/07/20 - A somewhat pointless album
14/08/20 - A horrible album cover hiding some decent tunes

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves