I wasn't lost in the collage

Continuing my trip back in time through the album charts

28/08/20 : Imploding The Mirage - The Killers


Last time we met The Killers (which was either about two months in the past or a year in the future, depending upon how you measure it) my comment was "I've got nothing to say against it, but I've also not really got anything to say for it" - which isn't really a great comment now, is it?  And I'd have to say my hopes aren't exactly sky-high for this, what with the super-up-itself title they gave the album.  But let's give it a go anyway, shall we?

And no, it just all feels very lazy.  It's got more energy that the follow-up, but it doesn't feel like they spent more than the bare minimum of time throwing the songs together.  I also find it interesting that I praised Brandon's voice on Pressure Machine, but on this one they use an awful lot of reverb which doesn't half give you the impression they'd hiding something.  I imagine the songs sound fine live (as long as you're not forced to listen to an entire album's worth) but I also imagine that very few people revisited this too many times.  I do like the album cover though.

We're at #1 in the chart with a new entry (as usual) and they managed nine weeks before disappearing, which surprised me.  Other new entries in the top ten are Erasure (#4 - and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a teensy bit curious as to what that sounds like) and Jamie Webster (#6 - which we've already met and I liked).  I'd generally stop there, but I must admit to further curiosity as to what the new entries from The Waterboys (#14) and Bright Eyes (#22) are like so I might well investigate this week a bit more.  Don't worry, I won't write it up though.

Wikipedia tells me this is their first album without their usual guitarist (who was "just happy to be in San Diego" apparently) so they got various other people in instead including Lyndsey Buckingham, who doesn't seem like an obvious choice (he's 72 now!).  It also tells me the cover is Dance of the Wind and Storm by American artist Thomas Blackshear.  It certainly appears that everyone was more impressed by the album than I was with it making a lot of "best of 2020" lists and doing well globally.

"Customers also listened to" a load of albums by people related to The Killers mostly - plus some stuff by Bleachers, who I've heard of but never investigated.  And I certainly won't be investigating this album again I'm afraid - it just didn't feel to me like they put any effort into it.

21/08/20 - Unsurprisingly bearable
04/09/20 - Surprisingly bearable

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves