All the clowns are calling the shots

Continuing my trip up #album-of-the-day...

21.04.27 : And Their Refinement Of The Decline : Stars Of The Lid (2007)

Never heard of album or artist, but I'm going with "the lid" being a wordplay on "the id" and it's some kind of ambient thang.  And, oh yes, it's a minimalist, sonically evocative musical landscape and no mistake.  It's also really fucking dull.  Come on lads - put a bit more effort in next time, OK?

The channel gave this one bellissimo, one nice1, two thumbs up and more than enough positive comments to counterbalance my opinion.  Wikipedia doesn't have an awful lot on the album, but does note that "Dopamine Clouds Over Craven Cottage" refers to Fulham FC, whose captain at the time of recording was one Brian McBride, which also happens to be the name of one of the members of Stars Of The Lid.  Which seems an impressively convoluted link, to say the least.

"Customers also listened to", to no-one's great surprise, a load of people I've never heard of.  If I wanted some music that absolutely must not disturb me in any way, then this would be my go to album - but for some weird reason I think the point to music is to listen to it, so I find it very unlikely this will ever happen.

21.04.28 : We Get By : Jamie Webster (2020)

Never heard of the lad, but applying my usual rule I was expecting him to be a singer-songwriter because Jamie Webster is definitely not a guitar maestro name.  And for once, my rule didn't let me down - he's squarely in the singer-songwriter department.  I was reminded of Frank Turner and Billy Bragg - and I have absolutely no problems with being reminded of either of them, so I very much liked it.  I also have a sneaking suspicion he's not a big fan of the Tories.

The channel gave this no emojis, one comment that it sounded like Gerry Cinnamon and one leaver - which isn't exactly a rapturous reception.  But I liked it!  Wikipedia doesn't have an entry for the album, but his entry tells us that it got to #6 in the UK charts and was also the inaugural #1 in the UK Official Folk Album chart (which I didn't know existed, but now I do!).  It also tells me he released two albums in October 2020 - the other one being a live album of football songs (which I suspect I can probably live without).  And he's also somewhat of a fan of Liverpool FC.

"Customers also listened to" Gerry Cinnamon (well done the channel), The Lathums (who have the #1 album in the UK as I type this) and Louis Dunford (who I can tell you nothing about at all). I liked this and will be making an effort to revisit it - and maybe even check out Gerry Cinnamon as well to spoil myself.

21.04.29 : Gilligan Moss : Gilligan Moss (2021)

Never heard of artist or (unsurprisingly) album - and I'm wondering what kind of artist would call themselves that.  And well - hmmm.  It's sounds to me like it's for people who almost like M People but find Heather Small's voice (which is obviously the only redeeming quality of M People) a bit too interesting.  Let's just have the chirpy bits and some low-key vocals, shall we?  Errr no - let's not.

The channel gave this ten thumbs up and a few positive comments - it seems like my opinion is very much out of step with the channel's in this round.   Wikipedia doesn't have anything on album or artist - a quick Google tells me they're Ben and Evan (I suspect their surnames are Gilligan and Moss, but I was unable to confirm this) and pretty busy on social media, but nothing particularly informative jumped out at me.

"Customers also listened to" Caribou (who I have at least heard of), TSHA and sir Was (who I haven't).  But this didn't do anything for me, I'm afraid.

So I liked Jamie's album very much and am more than happy to give him the round - he would have won against much stronger competition as well, but you can only fight who's put in front of you.

21.04.22 - TWO albums with female vocalists?!?
21.04.30 - A surprising winner

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves