To believe in something as though it already existed

Continuing my trip back in time through the album charts

23/07/21 : Faith - Pop Smoke


I wasn't aware of Pop Smoke beforehand but I had a sneaking suspicion I wasn't going to like it (and it really didn't help that I first read his name as Poop Smoke).

Oh no - it didn't take me very long to decide I really didn't like it.  US rap at it's worst for me - dreary in sound and content.  With the exception of "Demeanor" which Dua Lipa manages to elevate (as she has a tendency to).  Otherwise just no.

We were at #3 in the chart this week with the highest new entry - it managed to hang around for 6 weeks before disappearing from view, which astounded me.  Ahead of him in the chart were KSI and Olivia and the only other new entry in the top 10 was John Meyer at #4 and I would have hated that as well, so this ain't the best week for me, is it?

Wikipedia has a huge amount on the album (342 milliPeppers) and tells me it's his second posthumous album (out of two albums "he" has released).  The critical reviews were very mixed, with one quote stating it was a "prime example of how not to honour a fallen artist" but the public didn't care, with everyone going mad for it - it was top 10 in most countries and debuted at #1 in the US.  His entry gives more details on his death - he was shot during a house robbery after having posted pictures on Instagram of some expensive stuff being delivered to the house he was renting, where said pictures made the address perfectly obvious.  Which, with hindsight, possibly wasn't the wisest move he could have made.

"Customers also listened to" a load of people I've never heard of and I'm perfectly happy with that state of affairs, thank you very much.  Next!

16/07/21 - A familiar sound from an unfamiliar name
30/07/21 - Not my cup of Tetley

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves