They'll weave their long souls Into the frame to grow their foliage

Continuing my trip up #album-of-the-day...

21.11.22 : Shrines - Purity Ring (2012)

Yup - know it, love it.  Some fine bleepy stuff with female vocals - right up my street.

I love this album - think it should have got a lot more recognition at the time (although I see it got to #32 in the US, so it did OK over there I guess).  I saw them live slightly after this came out and it's safe to say I was far and away the least cool person in the room...

The channel gave it two thumbs up and one new joiner.  And that was it.  Wikipedia has more than I was expecting on the album (135 milliPeppers) but all it really says is "they made it, people liked it" - except in the UK where it only got #100.  Shame on us.

"Customers also listened to" Grimes, The Knife and a load of other people I've never heard of but I suspect I might like.  But Purity Ring are up there with the best of them, for me.

21.11.23 : Bring It On - Gomez (1998)

One with nice memories attached rather than an absolute favourite, but still nice to catch up with their slightly unusual (and really not very English) sound.

Bought this at the time and am slightly surprised it was as long ago as that ('98).  Not heard it in years though, so nice to revisit

The channel gave it eight thumbs up, two hearts and a LOT of love.  Wikipedia reminds me that the critics really loved it - so much that it won the Mercury prize, which helped propel it to #11 in the UK charts.

"Customers also listened to" Turin Brakes, The Beta Band, Dodgy and Black Grape - the 90s rule, man!  Gomez aren't peak 90s for me, but a very pleasurable side alley, nonetheless.

21.11.24 : The Trials of Van Occupanther - Midlake (2006)

Never quite got into Midlake at the time, and I don't remember this from all of three weeks ago, so it feels unlikely I was converted.

Midlake was the sort of thing I loved about the time this came out, but I never quite got into them - I liked it, but I just liked other things more.  I think it's maybe just a bit too backward-looking for me.  I love the fact that the 10th anniversary album cover is more bonkers than the original though :-)

The channel gave it six thumbs up, one heart, some love and some discussion as to what materials stone-cutters use.  Wikipedia doesn't have a lot on the album, but does remind me that the tenth anniversary release came with a different album cover, so I've included that above because it was pleasingly weirder than the original (which was already pretty weird).  And that's really all of it.

"Customers also listened to" Low, Sun Kil Moon and Cass McCombs - all in the same ballpark as far as I understand it.  And they're all not quite there for me - although I feel like they should be.

I like Gomez, but if would have taken stronger competition for Purity Ring not to win the round.

21.11.17 - Three oldies but goodies
21.11.25 - An odd mix

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves