The wintergreen, the juniper, the cornflower and the chicory

Continuing my trip up #album-of-the-day...

21.11.25 : Abattoir Blues / The Lyre of Orpheus - Nick Cave And The Bad Seeds (2004)

I think my channel comment pretty much says it all here

I've always pretty much avoided him because I find him a bit too serious.  I like people to take their music seriously, but I find that some people take things a bit too far and I've included him in that camp.    But I actually quite liked the album in places - particularly "There She Goes, My Beautiful World".  Some of it was quite Bowie-ish as well, but "The Lyre Of Orpheus" was a bit too much for me though.  I can see why he inspires the levels of fandom he does - there's a lot of meaning here to unpack if you have such an inclination.

The channel gave it ten thumbs up, two hearts, a lot of lurve, some discussion as to how tricky it is to pick the best Nick Cave album and a new joiner.  Wikipedia has a fair bit on the album, but most of it is just saying how much the critics loved it (they do like the man - I can see there's a lot there for them to be criticky about).  It did pretty well in most places - #11 in the UK and #1 in Greece and Norway (which seems like an odd pairing).   It only made it to #126 in the US though - I'd be interested to know why (but I suspect I'll never find out!)

"Customers also listened to" a very odd mix of people - Graham Coxon, Anna Calvi, Pixies and Tom Odell.  I'm very unsure what's going on there, but I guess Mr Cave is somewhat of a unique individual and there's not so many people out there doing the sort of thing he does.  But I'm glad I listened to it - even if I feel it's unlikely I'll be revisiting.

21.11.26 : El Baile Alemán - Senor Coconut (2000)


Never heard of album or artist - and boy did it turn out I'd missed a lot of albums.

It's well done, but gets a bit tiresome for me.  Fair play to anyone that WIkipedia has a "Partial Discography" section for because they just know they won't manage to list everything - there are still 75-ish albums listed though.  Autobahn does sound suspiciously like it's been done by The Wurzels though...  

The channel gave it two thisses, two woo-hoos, two joys, two maracas-parrots and a lot of love for the man.  Wikipedia doesn't have an awful lot on the album, but does include the following somewhat dry analysis (best mentally read in a BBC newsreader voice) "Although mostly note-for-note covers, some tracks add embellishments such as "cha-cha-chas", or minor changes to the song, like incorporating Latin Radio into the radio transmission in "Autobahn"".  It doesn't even bother telling us what the critics thought - I imagine most of them just rolled their eyes.

"Customers also listened to" - yeah, I'd have been amazed if I'd recognised any of that lot.  Just not for me, I'm afraid.

21.11.29 : Dirt - Alice In Chains (1992)


AIC fall into one of the many "not my kinda thing" categories - I seem to recall I could see why it has its fans, but I'm not one of them.

Not really my sort of thing, but I can see it's done well enough.  Almost impossible to work to though.

The channel gave it seven thumbs up, three horns and a few positive comments.  Wikipedia has a lot on the album (206 milliPeppers) but I only really read as far as this "The songs on the album focused on depression, pain, anger, anti-social behavior, relationships, drug addiction (primarily heroin), war, death, and other emotionally charged topics".  Won't anyone write me a song about fluffy bunnies?!?  It's safe to say people liked it though - the critics think it's their best album and it did OK commercially, getting to #6 in the US and selling 4 million copies.  Only #42 over here though - it feels like it would have done better.

"Customers also listened to" Soundgarden, Stone Temple Pilots, Faith No More and a whole host of other people I tend to avoid.  But, as I said earlier, I can see this is well done so I generously don't begrudge them their fans - what a nice man I am!

An easy win for Nick for me - let's hope he cracks a smile when he hears the news.

21.11.22 - Only one winner for me
21.11.30 - MUST. REMEMBER. MORE.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves