I'm drowning in my nostalgia

Continuing my trip up #album-of-the-day...

21.11.17 : Brilliant Trees - David Sylvian (1984)


One I own and like from back in the day (and the day was a long time ago now) - hadn't listened to it in ages though, so it was a pleasure to revisit.

Yeah, I still like this.  No real clue why I got into it at the time (or the Japan stuff I liked) but I did!  Cheers.

The channel gave it three thumbs up, one comment that it was "strangely listenable" and my attempt to drum up some interest by pointing out that someone who's now in Porcupine Tree was involved (the channel LOVE PT!).  Wikipedia has a reasonable amount on the album but, as you might expect, a lot of it is introspective bollocks.  The album was well received though, both critically and commercially with it getting to #4 in the UK.

"Customers also listened to" Japan (nobody expected that), Scritti Politti and Prefab Sprout (two other enigmatic singers there - particularly Paddy McAloon these days).  All of that stuff has aged pretty well, and this is a prime example of such a thing which I was pleased to be reminded of.

21.11.18 : loveless - My Bloody Valentine (1991)

One I own and think I love until I listen to it - at which point I find myself asking whether I really do, which I've already written about.  The channel gave it one bellissimo (and I'm not entirely sure that's an adjective I'd choose), five thumbs up, five hearts, a lot of love for the album and a complaint about the lack of capitalisation (which is way more of a thing now than it was back then - 30 years ago!).

21.11.19 : Peng! - Stereolab (1992)

I was on holiday on this day, so didn't get round to it until the Monday - when I was obviously less busy given the length of my comment

First task completed - I'd not heard it before but was expecting to like it because of "Ping Pong" and "French Disko".  And yeah, I did like it - it feels quietly influential to that which came after it.  And for a Monday morning cultural diversion, I investigated why it was called Peng! because I didn't remember peng being a word back then (92).  And apparently it was, but only in reference to good weed - shortened from "kushungpeng" apparently (and shortening that word seems like a good idea).  But the album is named after a German onomatopoeia relating to a loud bang and the artwork comes from a comic strip in a 1970 Swiss underground newspaper (which seems somewhat wilfully obscure, even to me).  Peng is also, of course, one of the sacred words of the knights that go "Ni" - the others being "Ni" (obviously) and "Neee-Wom".   So don't say you never learn anything here.

tl;dr - i liked it and it feels like it was very influential to that which came afterwards.  The channel gave it one French flag, one nice one, one thumbs up, some positive comments and a new joiner.  Wikipedia doesn't have an awful lot on the album - almost less than I wrote above.  However, it does tell us that it was also released in the US in 1995 but it doesn't tell us why, which annoys me because I want to know - I'm struggling to imagine the US were crying out for it.

"Customers also listened to" The Boo Radleys, Felt, Cornershop and The Sea and Cake, about which I know varying amounts - varying from very little to absolutely nothing.  But Stereolab feel like one of those bands I should know more about and I enjoyed experiencing this album.

So, there's a good argument we have two reasonable influential albums (albeit one slightly more familiar to most than the other) on this list - so I'm going to pick the third one because I know it and like it.  Well done, Dave (and he's so not a Dave, is he?)

21.11.12 - Three recent albums
21.11.22 - Only one winner for me

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves