Lost in skies of powdered gold, caught in clouds of silver ropes

Continuing my trip up #album-of-the-day...

21.11.30 : From The Muddy Banks Of The Wishkah - Nirvana (1996)

I seem to recall I found this variable but really enjoyed the good bits - because that's what I always do with Nirvana.

I'd not heard this, but suspected I'd like it well enough despite not being able to play it as loud as I'd like on account of having some work to do.  And yeah, that's pretty much where we were - except for the bits I hated, but that's what you get with Nirvana.  Part of me admires them for their general contrariness, but I can't help but think they overdid it at times.  Seeing them live would have been AWESOME though (as long as they weren't in one of those moods, obviously)

The channel gave it six thumbs up, a bit of love and a bit of "other bootlegs are better".  Which is probably true, but I also bet other bootlegs are far, far worse.  Wikipedia has the unnecessary nonsense you'd expect - the only bit of interest is that Kurt had claimed to have slept on the banks of the Wishkah when he was a teenager, but Kris Novoselic later pointed out that it's tidal, so that was probably just Kurt being Kurt.  The album got to #1 in the US and #4 in the UK - and it totally passed me by at the time.

"Customers also listened to" all the usual suspects - no Nirvana fans are going to broaden their horizons looking at that list.  And, despite all their ability to frustrate, they were up there with the best of them in this area - but I'll be sticking with Nevermind, I'm afraid.

21.12.01 : Beneath The Skin - Of Monsters And Men (2015)

Yup - just two weeks ago and I can't remember a thing about it.  Shame on me!

I really liked Of Monsters And Men - right up my street.  I'd heard a few of the tracks but didn't know it was them - I had to check why it was super familiar though and I'm guessing it's because "Thousand Eyes" was used to advertise Jessica Jones.  And apparently the band appeared in a couple of GoT episodes as well.  Thanks for this!

Ah yes - I remember it now.  MUST.  DO.  MORE.  REMEMBERING.  Sorry OMAM - I'll put in a relisten today to make up for my sins.  The channel gave it two nice kevins, one thumbs up and a little bit of love.  Wikipedia doesn't have a lot of the album, but the critics generally liked it and the public really liked it, it got to #10 in the UK but in the US it got to #3.  Which is a phenomenal effort - all three of their albums have made the top 10 over there.

"Customers also listened to" Florence And The Machine, Mumford And Sons and Bastille - and what we take away from this is that's not really anyone like Of Monsters And Men.  And we also take away that if I hear an album I like, then I really should remember it.  

21.12.02 : The Feel Good Record Of The Year - No Use For A Name (2008)

I do remember this one though - very much of its time and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

I missed No Use For A Name back in the day - yeah, I liked that.  Very Dookiesque - fine indeed.

The channel gave it one raised hands, one chefs kiss, two thumbs up, one heart, one positive comment and one new joiner.  Wikipedia tells us this was their eighth and last album before the band split up after the death of their lead singer at the tender age of 41.  And that's basically all it has to say on the matter.

"Customers also listened to" a load of people I've never heard of, except for Tony Sly - who've I known about for, oooh, 30 seconds now.  I liked this though - although whether I ever revisit it remains to be seen (because I always go back to Dookie).

So, we're in the slightly embarrassing position of awarding the round to the album that I'd completely forgotten about - but sometimes you just have to stand up and say you'll try to be a better man (even though you know that ship sailed a long time ago).  But well done to Of Monsters And Men - it really is a very good album.

21.11.25 - An odd mix
21.12.03 - Only two more to go!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves