Stayed beside me just enough to keep your belly full

Continuing my trip up #album-of-the-day...

21.11.12 : Schlagenheim - black midi (2019)

Our second visit with black midi on the list and it's fair to say they're just not my thing.

i have a sneaking suspicion this might not be quite my cup of tea - so have a good weekend everyone...

I realise there are plenty in the channel that disagree with me - they gave it eight thumbs up and one heart.  Wikipedia tells me the critics disagree with me as well, with it being nominated for the Mercury Prize and making several "best of 2019" lists.  It also got to #43 in the UK as well which seems like a decent effort for their first album and they've built a reasonable following since (if the channel is anything to go by, at least).

"Customers also listened to" Black Country, New Road and Squid - neither of whom seem to be coming from quite the same place in terms of the sound they make, but they all share a certain left-field aesthetic.  But black midi just don't do it for me, I'm afraid.

21.11.15 : Clean - Soccer Mommy (2018)

I wasn't aware of Soccer Mommy until I met color theory on last years "best of" list which I really liked, so I was looking forward to this.  And it didn't disappoint, even if it didn't quite hit the previous/later heights for me

I liked color theory from last year and promised myself I'd check some more of her stuff out, but obviously completely failed until now.  And I think I prefer color theory, but this is still pretty much up my street.  Her voice really reminds me of someone and I can't quite put my finger on it - annoying.  I like "Interlude" being the ninth track on the album as well :smile:

The channel gave it four thumbs up, three nices and a couple of positive comments.  Wikipedia doesn't have a lot on the album except for a massive section on how many "best of 2018" lists it made.  Believe me - there was a lot.

"Customers also listened to" Lucy Dacus (who I've only just met), Snail Mail (who I met last year) and Big Thief - all of whom I don't mind at all.  And I quite liked this, even if it didn't quite hit the spot as much as color theory did.

21.11.16 : Suddenly - Caribou (2020)

One I'd previously met - and I described it as an "interesting diversion" but not one I was likely to revisit.  The channel were keener on it - six fires, six thumbs, a lot of positive comments and one "generally quite inoffensive" which amused me. 

And easy win for the lady in this round - well done to Sophia Regina Allison (calling your kids Regina seems to be a strangely American thing to do - and I struggle to imagine it does them any favours at school)

21.11.09 - Three albums very much of their time
21.11.17 - Three oldies but goodies

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves