Ain't what you want, it's what you know

Continuing my trip up #album-of-the-day...

21.07.05 : Cavalcade : black midi (2021)

Oooh - my birthday, so I was hoping for something nice but it seems like my present got lost in the post.  Black midi had already been held up as an example of something I would most definitely not like and it's fair to say the channel didn't let me down.  Not for me, I'm afraid - with my comment being

Oh yes, I REALLY didn't like that!

Although I do quite like the busy album cover.  The channel gave it one headphones and some positive comments from those who like this sort of thing.  Wikipedia has a surprising amount on the album with the critics being very keen on it - apparently "Cavalcade is an album of extremes, fluctuating between lounging wizardry and an angular, prog-rock nightmare" means that they liked it.  It was also popular with the public - #16 in the US.  It only reached #60 in the UK, but that was down to some "golden ticket" nonsense which meant that it wasn't allowed to count first week sales.  Or something.  The band's entry also tells me I should be careful not to confuse "black midi" with "black MIDI" - with the latter seeming to be, if you'll excuse my language, utterly fucking nuts.

"Customers also listened to" Squid, Shame and Black Country, New Road - and I can assure you I won't be checking any of them out.  Just no.

21.07.06 : Same Trailer, Different Park : Kacey Musgraves (2013)

And so we come to the finest album selection on the list so far.  But I might be biased seeing as how it's my choice...

Right, part of me feels duty bound to pick something people can be rude about – but I don’t think I can be using that as my main criteria, so hopefully it will just be a happy by-product of my selection. I’m going to go for “under-representation thus far” as my main criteria – which means that I absolutely have to go with a female vocalist and genre-wise something from pop, folk or country fits best with my preferences. 

And I’ve got some cracking (imho) choices for all three categories but for all the albums I’ve worked my way through on this list so far, nothing feels even close to country so I’m going for that.  It also feels to have the greatest potential to scare people off, but give it a go – you might like it. Personally, I think it’s just some lovely tunes with great lyrics but obviously I’m interested in what you think.

And. of course, I've written about it before.  The channel gave it three cowboy hats, generally positive comments (although some viewed it as a bit samey) and two new joiners.  Wikipedia has a reasonable amount on the album, but basically only says that the critics and the public loved it - #2 in the US (kept off the top by Justin Timberlake) and #39 in the UK, which seems like a pretty decent effort for a debut album!

"Customers also listened to" a load of ladies with big hair - and generally that's not my sort of thing, but Kacey just hits the spot nicely.

21.07.07 : Hunter : Anna Calvi (2018)


Continuing the female vocalist theme, another fine selection - I knew of Ms Calvi, but wasn't aware I'd heard this album before so it was a good introduction.

Not sure I'd listened to this album before, but it's pretty much what I expected - a nice selection of tracks from a talented lady.  I'm not always convinced by her singing (but it's better than mine!)

The channel gave it two hands up, five thumbs up, four hearts and a few positive comments - including "first one I've listened to all the way through in ages".  Wikipedia doesn't have a lot on the album - the critics like it and it sold well enough getting to #22 in the UK.  And that's it.  I read her entry as compensation and there's so much on there that I've totally failed to pick one or two interesting facts to tell you - the lass has done a lot with her time!

"Customers also listened to" Joan As Police Woman (who I've not listened to in ages), PJ Harvey and Nadine Shah - definitely all in the same area.  And I should listen to them all a bit more often, because I like them - I guess it's just a case of finding the time!

Hmmm - I wonder which one I'm going to pick as the winner.  I mean, I liked Anna Calvi but let's be realistic here - Kacey was always going to win this round due to the overall excellence of the nominator!

21.06.30 - Another fine selection
21.07.08 - You can come out now - the women have gone away.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves