Truer than the lies, truer than the prize

Continuing my trip up #album-of-the-day...

21.11.09 : Face To Face - Face To Face (1996)

So - I listened to this less than a month ago and I can remember absolutely nothing about it.  Am I or it to blame I wonder?  My channel comment was  

If (and it's a big if) I'd been a teen in the 90s then I feel this would have been right up my street.  But it kinda passed me by then and whilst I didn't mind it, it just feels a bit too late for me to start on it now.  Now pass me my pipe and slippers - I'm just off for a nap.

which suggests the reason for my mental blank (I'm old!).  I do vaguely remember it now - if I was so inclined I might revisit it.  But I'm not.  The channel gave it two thumbs up, one heart, some fine nostalgia and a long discussion about cover versions (and I stand by my contention that Christy Moore is the anti-Vanessa Carlton).  Wikipedia is positively comprehensive in its coverage - "Face to Face is the 1996 self-titled third studio album by the California punk band Face to Face".  So there you go!

"Customers also listened to" "no similar recommendations" which seems odd.  I would have enjoyed this at the time so I'm sure plenty of people did - and there's plenty of similar music out there.  But whilst I still like the stuff I like from that era, I didn't feel the need to add this to it.

21.11.10 : Escapology - Robbie Williams (2002)


Well, I wasn't expecting to see this on the list.  I seem to recall I didn't find it quite as dreadful as I was expecting, but I'm still fine without it in my life.

Well - I'll be honest, I didn't expect to be listening to this today.  Having lived through the Robbie Williams in Take That/leaving Take That days, I find it difficult to muster too much sympathy for the man but I appreciate we all grow up sometime and he's certainly in the process here.  But - he can't quite decide if he wants to be Oasis or The Lightning Seeds on this which leaves it all a bit "some killer, mostly filler" for me.  I quite like "Feel" though - although I suspect my opinion doesn't overly concern him.  And one day, when I'm feeling brave, I'll listen to Rudebox...

The channel were very insistent that I must not, under any circumstances, listen to Rudebox and I can confirm I have followed their advice.  They gave the album two thumbs up, one grimacing, one sunglasses-cat, one hear-no-evil and more love for the album and the man than I was expecting to see.  Wikipedia tells us this was Robbie trying to break America - with only partial success (#43).  The critics were a bit meh on it as well, but over here we lapped it up - #1 for seven weeks and in the charts for over a year.  It was around this time that he played his Knebworth shows, playing to 375,000 people over 3 nights.  Including my wife and my sisters - but, most definitely, not me.

"Customers also listened to" Take That (who knew?), Kaiser Chiefs, Nelly Furtado and Anastasia - an odd mix from the time.  I'm not a Robbie fan (and I'm not Team Gary either), but I concede that he's done some good stuff and "Feel" falls into that category.  I'm quite happy to ignore the rest of it though.

21.11.11 : Not Waving, But Drowning - Loyle Carner (2019)


I wasn't previously aware of this one, but I do remember it and I remember I enjoyed it and it reminded me of Dave.

Yeah - not an album I was aware of, but I liked it.  The talky interludes are nice and relatable too...

The channel gave it nine hearts, one thumbs up and a LOT of love for both the album and the man.  Wikipedia is slightly more chatty on this one than on the Face To Face one, but not a lot - "Not Waving, but Drowning is the second studio album by British rapper Loyle Carner. It was released on 19 April 2019 via AMF/Virgin EMI Records".  

"Customers also listened to" a load of people who I've never heard of - which I can't say massively surprised me because this is very much not a genre I'm aware of and it's not generally my kinda thing.  But, as I said previously, I liked this and I'd be tempted to check out his previous album.

Three records very much of their time - so it's somewhat surprising that this old man is picking the newest one as the winner of the round.  Well done to Loyle.

21.11.04 - An honourable tie
21.11.12 - Three recent albums

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves