And we're done for another year!


So, having got to the end of The Guardian's Top 50 albums of 2021, what have I learned?  

Me?  Learning something?!?  Never!  All in all, I enjoyed the list and thought it was better than last year's offering - it introduced me to 48 new albums (up from 46 last year which shows I'm getting even less down with the kids), most of which I at least found interesting. 

Best 10

As a sign that things are better than last year (when I had a best 5), I've gone for a best 10 this year - I liked all of these and will be making an effort to listen to them all again and I suspect quite a few of them could be growers.

#50 : Magic Still Exists - Agnes
#46 : Busy Guy - Stephen Fretwell
#39 : Flowers for Vases/Descansos - Hayley Williams
#37 : Sensational - Erika de Casier
#20 : 
Vulture Prince - Arooj Aftab 
#13 : Jubilee - Japanese Breakfast
#9 : New Long Leg - Dry Cleaning
#8 : Sour - Olivia Rodrigo
#3 : Sometimes I Might Be Introvert - Little Simz
#1 : Prioritise Pleasure - Self Esteem

It's not quite a clean sweep for the ladies again, but it's not far off - well done to Steve for stopping it.   Obviously my personal preference tends towards a female vocalist but there's a reasonable amount of variety there - no-one would confuse Arooj Aftab with Little Simz.  My personal preference was well served by the list this year featuring on 29 of the albums and the top 4 - I can see that those who prefer a male vocal, particularly in a rockier vein, may be feeling dissatisfied (hopefully the presence of Sam Fender at #11 is some consolation - I liked that album).

In a change to last year's experience, I'm quite happy with The Guardian's choice of #1 - she's obviously a very talented lady and the album has got a lot going for it.  I can't say what I've have put at #1 - it feels like I'd have to listen to Erika de Casier, Japanese Breakfast, Dry Cleaning, Little Simz and Self Esteem a few more times in order to pick between them - my suspicion is that Dry Cleaning or Little Simz would come out on top, but who knows?!?

Worst 5

As with last year a "Worst 5" doesn't feel appropriate - very few of these albums are what I'd actually describe as bad.  But I really struggled to understand who would like Made Out Of Sound by Chris Corsano And Bill Orcutt (#43) - it's way too challenging for my sensitive ears.  I also struggled to understand exactly what I was supposed to do with Colourgrade by Tirzah (#17).

Most unique entry

im hole by Aya (#36) certainly deserves a special mention for being most whatever it is - it's certainly worth a listen (you're probably not going to like it though - I'm got absolutely no idea whether I did or not)

Potential Omissions

Looking at various other end of year lists and dredging up a personal like from the past year, I've come up with 

Ancient Dreams In A Modern Land - Marina
30 - Adele
Cavalcade - black midi
Valentine - Snail Mail
If I Can't Have Love, I Want Power - Halsey
Conflict Of Interest - Ghetts
Bright Green Field - Squid
Red (Taylor's Version) - Taylor Swift

I am in no way endorsing any of the above (except Marina, obviously!) but I want to check out Snail Mail and Halsey's offerings (and yeah, OK - I might listen to Taylor's as well)

And with that, we come to the end - see you in another 11 months for the best of 2022!  I actually don't have any lists on the go at the minute - I think I'm going to have a go at The Guardian's best 50 films of 2021 (despite me saying last time that 50 was too many), but I won't be rushing in to that, so I might be quiet for a bit (you're probably hoping so anyway).

Thank you to everyone for reading and for your comments - I'm always interested in other people's opinions.  Happy New Year - see you on the next list!

#1 - A pleasing enough album for #1
#50-49 - A good start to the year

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves