I hate the thought of just being a burden

Continuing my trip up The Guardian's Top 50 Albums of 2021

#3 : Sometimes I Might Be Introvert - Little Simz



Introversion is considered synonymous with shyness, but on Sometimes I Might Be Introvert (an acronym of her nickname), Simbiatu Ajikawo demonstrates that she has no shortage of bold, cinematic vision. She makes up for a lack of travel during the pandemic by stamping her musical passport with the influences of a wide diasporic sound. Her Nigerian heritage is in fine hip-winding display on Point and Kill (featuring Obongjayar), while Protect My Energy layers motivational mantras over 80s Miami drums, balancing out the record’s heavier moments with a keen sense of play. And she is newly generous here with her vignettes of family life, driven by the desire to recalibrate her post-pandemic priorities as an aunt and sibling. On Little Q, she reconnects with a cousin on the other side of the Thames to learn more about his near-death brush with knife crime, while I Love You, I Hate You sees her attempting to find peace with a father who has disappointed her and to ensure she does not carry that fear of rejection into a new relationship. It seems to be working: I See You’s old-school R&B is blissful with sleepy Sunday morning vulnerability, while How Did You Get Here is a tearjerking stocktake of the artist’s journey so far. A gospel choir frames her determination and gratitude: “I’m the version of me I always imagined when I was younger.


I've come across Little Simz on a few tracks and don't think I've minded them but I can't say they've jumped out at me, so I'm intrigued to see what makes this album such a stand-out for The Guardian.  And "Introvert" is a strong opener and no mistake - some passionate vocals over an orchestral track with a strong beat and some intriguing talkie bits.  And the album pretty much continues in a similar vein, with some strong, intelligent and often extremely rapid rapping over various intriguing backing tracks - Lauryn Hill very much sprung to mind as a touchpoint for me.  The interludes are cute too - voiced by Emma Corrin (Diana in The Crown) in a cut-glass English accent to provide a pleasing contrast.


Wikipedia points out the album title is actually a backronym - shame on you, The Guardian, for your inaccuracy in merely calling it an acronym.  Apart from that, it has an interesting paragraph on how the album is about letting people know you're an introverted person in an extroverted way.  The album was well received both critically and commercially, getting to #4 in the UK.  And finally, her full name is so glorious it needs to be included here - Simbiatu Abisola Abiola Ajikawo.


"Customers also listened to" Arlo Parks, Dave and Self Esteem - two of whom we've already seen on the list and the other of whom we'll be seeing very soon indeed.  I liked this a lot though and I feel it would deliver more on repeat listens, so will be making an effort to revisit it.


#4 - I feel I should like this more
#2 - Not quite hitting the spot

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves