My memories are so unnatural

Continuing my trip up #album-of-the-day...

21.06.14 : Bright Green Field : Squid (2020)

Nope - don't remember this one at all!  I'm assuming it's ambient-esque from the name and also because I think I'm less likely to remember that sort of thing, but I'm going for a relisten to see.  Well, it's not ambient-esque, but I'm not entirely sure what it is - "art pop" maybe?  It reminds me of Talking Heads - I don't mind it, but the vocal delivery does get a bit annoying.  Doubly so because he really sounds like someone and I can't remember who - maybe my comment from the channel will help me out...

I like it apart from the annoying bits.  However, the jury is currently out on exactly how much that leaves me to like - the quirk is strong in this one.  It reminded me a lot of Tom Vek.

Thank you, past me - yeah, that's who it was!  The channel gave this one heart, a few positive comments and a new joiner.  Wikipedia has a lot more on the album that I was expecting, but it turns out that was because it was a lot more successful than I was aware of, with the critics loving it (which didn't surprise me) and it got to #4 in the UK (which did).

"Customers also listened to" Shame, Snapped Ankles and Dry Cleaning - all of whom sound like they'd be a right laugh.  Overall, I think Squid are a "no" for me - the vocals just get too annoying in the end.

21.06.15 : Automatic Writing : Ataxia (2004)


And I don't remember this one either - was I actually paying attention this week?  Maybe I had some work to do (admittedly this sounds unlikely).  I would have assumed ambient-esque from the name, but the nominator told us that John Frusciante was involved, which reminded me I didn't mind it but I thought a relisten was probably still in order.  And yeah, it's OK - but it just doesn't really sound like I'm expecting it to, as my channel comment backs up...

never heard of them - some interesting sounds.  it was less "guitar-y" than i was expecting...

The channel gave it three nices and a few more comments that it doesn't really sound like you'd expect it to given that John is involved.  Wikipedia has a few paragraphs on the album, including this from Mr F himself - "If you don't care about song structure, and you want powerful music with fucked-up guitar-playing and songs that are really long, this record is the one".  Which feels to be slightly overstating the fuckedupness of it, but I do agree the songs are long.

"Customers also listened to" a load of people that have something to do with John F, but not RHCP.  I thought this was OK - but not as wild as Mr F thought it was, certainly.

21.06.16 : The Return Of The Durutti Column : The Durutti Column (1979)


One I remember (vaguely) - well done me!  My channel comment was

A very Mr Giles album which I haven't heard in ages.  It was often to be found in the Our Price bargain bin. - I don't think it did quite as well as was expected of it, quite possibly because 1979 wasn't ready for it.  Only 28 minutes long originally as well - but the streaming version was padded out (obviously!) to 48 minutes..

The channel gave this one eyes, six thumbs up and a lot of positive comments - several mentioning it sounded well ahead of its time and it really hasn't dated at all.  It also presented the amusing factoid that it was initially released with an album cover made of sandpaper, which must have been super annoying.  Wikipedia has a few sentences on the album and (of course) most of them are about the sandpaper.  It was used for the first 3600 pressings, it was based upon the Situationist book Memoires and they were all put together by members of the band and labelmates Joy Division and A Certain Ratio.  And you can bet that waaaaay before they'd finished, they'd seriously questioned whether this was really such a great idea.

"Customers also listened to" Julian Cope, Robert Wyatt and Throbbing Gristle - all of whom can present challenges to the casual listener.  But I thought The Durutti Column made some quite nice noises - if not quite nice enough to drag me back.

All of these albums manage to be pretty good but also quite annoying in places - so which is the least annoying?  Probably The Durutti Column I guess and they get bonus points for being ahead of their time - so well done to Vini and the team.  However, the distinct lack of words means that Squid take the title lyrics (bizarrely, I can't even remember if Ataxia had any words and I only listened to it this morning).

21.06.09 - Not the best round for me
21.06.17 - A somewhat varied mix

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves