You could be from Venus, I could be from Mars

Continuing my trip up #album-of-the-day...

21.09.20 : Sleeping With Ghosts - Placebo (2003)

I seem to recall I quite liked this one, but not as much as their debut (but it's more than possible that familiarity plays some part in this).  My channel comment confirms this

I'd forgotten Placebo existed - loved their debut album but had never made it this far down the line.  Nice choice.

The channel gave it three cool cats, nine hands up and a lot of nostalgic love for both band and album - I like choices that remind you of people that you've completely forgotten about.  Wikipedia doesn't have an awful lot on the album - the usual deep and meaningful bollocks from Brian Molko and then some recognition that the critics and the public liked it - #11 in the UK, but #1 in France and Belgium, apparently.

"Customers also listened to" Editors, Bloc Party and Interpol - three interchangeable bands there, all of whom I don't mind (although Interpol were dreadful when I say them live).  But Placebo have something a bit more than any of them - they're an interesting bunch who always have something to say and I enjoyed this.

21.09.21 : Talkie Walkie - Air (2003)


Another "I liked this one, but not as much as their debut" selection as borne out by

Moon Safari is the album that holds all the memories for me, but this is a fine alternative

The channel gave it ten thumbs up and another load of nostalgic love.  Wikipedia reminds me this was their third album (I'd forgotten about 10000 Hz Legend, which I seem to recall didn't chime with me as well as either of its neighbours).  Bizarrely (particularly considering the previous album), this did worse in France (#3) than it did in the UK (#2).  It was kept off the top over here by Call Off The Search by Katie Melua - and there's an album that was HUGE at the time (6 weeks at #1, 2 years in the charts, 4m sales globally) but I bet very few people even remember it now.

"Customers also listened to" Röyksopp (I'd have been amazed if they weren't on the list), Boards Of Canada, Bonobo and Lemon Jelly - some very pleasant sounds across the board there.  And Air are definitely up there with the best of them and I was pleased to be reminded to re-listen to this.

21.09.22 : Feast - PYJÆN (2021)


Never heard of these guys, but it is their second album so I reckon I can get away with sniffily claiming their debut album is better for the full set, don't you?  I seem to recall I didn't mind it, but can't remember the faintest thing about it - ah, it's jazz.  Say no more.

Not my usual sort of thing, but it's smoooooth.  But obviously, I expended most brain power on the question "How exactly do you pronounce Pyjæn?"...

The channel gave it seven thumbs up and came back with the answer "pie-jan".  Wikipedia has nothing on the album or artist and a quick Google also comes up blank - all I can tell you is that one of them is mates with Ollie Strachan (what more did you want to know?).

"Customers also listened to", to no-one's great surprise, a load of people I've never heard of.  I liked this more than I was expecting but I feel unlikely to be revisiting it, especially since I can't remember how to spell their name to search for it.

Some nice sounds across all three album but Air are going to take the round on familiarity if nothing else - if I'd listened to the other two more than once, then they might have overtaken them.  But I haven't.

21.09.15 - An interesting mix
21.09.23 - A comedy record?!?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves