Where's Dexter? Get a drink, have a good time now!

Continuing my trip up #album-of-the-day...

21.09.15 : WORRY - Jeff Rosenstock (2016)

I don't remember this one at all - until I relisten to the first 5 seconds and go "oh yes - this was the one that sounded like Willy Mason".  And my channel comment was

I quite liked this - think it would take a few more listens to decide if I loved it.  I particularly liked the track titles though - nicely quirky.  Musically, it reminded me of Willy Mason - hard to believe "Oxygen" was 17 years ago now.

so I wasn't wrong.  And for posterity's sake I feel the need to include some track titles - "I Did Something Weird Last Night", "June 21st" and "Perfect Sound Whatever" are good examples.  The channel gave this three thumbs up, one bellissimo, a couple of positive comments and a new joiner.  Wikipedia has more on the album than I was expecting (which was pretty much nothing) and a lot of it is quite interesting (for a change!).  It tells me he was previously the lead singer of Bomb The Music Industry! and The Arrogant Sons Of Bitches (both of which are great names).  Most of this album was written after all his kit got stolen, which must have put him in a certain mood.  The album cover photo was taken at his wedding - cute!  And the critics liked it, with Entertainment Weekly declaring it to be the ninth best overlooked album of the decade - which seems like a particularly subjective list if ever I saw one.

"Customers also listened to" Pup, Dogleg and Remember Sports - no, I've obviously never heard of any of them.  I can't see me rushing back to Jeff, but I didn't mind it and he certainly had some things to say.

21.09.16 : Since I Left You - The Avalanches (2000)

I loved this back in the day (21 years ago!) but hadn't listened to it in years before this welcome reminder - it's a really well put together album, with my channel comment being

This was the cool album to own before everyone knew about it - not listened to it in ages.  Cheers!

It's a cool album cover as well - like the music you feel you should know what's going on, without quite being able to pin it down.  The channel gave it one bellissimo, six nices, one thumbs up, five hearts, a lot of love and the amusing comment - "One day humanity will develop sufficient understanding to decode the meaning of this album" (which is also unfortunately not true).  Wikipedia has more on the album than I was expecting (216 milliPeppers) and tells me this album "samples extensively from various genres" - I tell you, I don't know what I'd do without their help!  Apparently they weren't expecting it to garner too much attention in Australia, let alone anywhere else but it kinda took off which caused them all sorts of problems in clearing samples internationally.  It went down particularly well over here, getting to #8 (as opposed to only #21 in Australia)

"Customers also listened to" The Go! Team, Hot Chip and The Flaming Lips - none of whom really quite fit in the same area but they all don't take themselves too seriously, I guess.  But I was pleased to be reminded this existed - I think it's a well crafted album that you feel you should understand more, whilst knowing you never will.

21.09.17 : Psychology - Pigeons Playing Ping Pong (2014)


I remember being annoyed by the band name so much that I thought I was definitely going to hate the music no matter what it was, but I seem to recall it was OK if not my sort of thing.  My channel comment was

there's no denying that's pretty funky...

which doesn't really tell you whether I liked it or not, but I'm not generally a fan of funk unless it's live and I'm REALLY in the mood for it - which last happened on a wet Wednesday back in 2004.  I really don't like the album cover though!  The channel gave it one thumbs up, four nices, one trumpet, one ping-pong-parrot (some people really work those emojis!) and no comments other than mine.  Wikipedia doesn't have anything on the album but if you scroll down the Google results about all the pigeons actually playing ping pong (apparently psychologist B.F. Skinner spent a lot of time on this) then you get to an entry for the band - apparently they're American and they tour a lot (up to 200 shows a year).  And I can imagine I might enjoy them live if I caught them on the right wet Wednesday.

"Customers also listened to" Humphrey's McGee, Spafford and Dopapod.  Err - OK.  I also saw that PPPP also have an album entitled Stop Making Cake, which I immediately started singing in my head in a Talking Heads stylee.  It's not really my sort of thing, but I guess it's well done nonetheless.

An easy win for The Avalanches though - that's one fine album.

21.09.10 - An unexpected winner
21.09.20 - Three one word artists

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves