It is the distant future. The year 2000!

Continuing my trip up #album-of-the-day...

21.09.23 : Ringo's Desert - ZHU (2018)

This was some kind of vague electronic stuff, wasn't it?  My random channel comment certainly seems to suggest so

I first this as read "Ringo's Dessert" and found myself imagining Mr Starr eating up his pudding, which I'm not sure was the scene he was trying to set.  I thought it was done well enough, but maybe a bit too Hitchhiker's Guide background music-y at times for my liking.  I can totally see the background music for working thing though - maybe I just need to find some work to accompany it...

I've not found any work yet - but it's coming, or so they tell me.  The channel gave it two thumbs up and that was it.  Wikipedia has an entry for the album but all it really says is that the album exists and the critics liked it.  Some quick further research tells us that ZHU is Steven Zhu from the US who's been doing this sort of thing since 2014.

"Customers also listened to" Bob Moses, Tchami and Portugal, The Man - an interestingly named bunch if nothing else.  But this didn't quite click for me, I'm afraid.

21.09.24 : Flight Of The Conchords - Flight Of The Conchords (2008)

I'm not a big fan of comedy albums - but I like this one (and saw them live back in the day), as my channel comment confirms

I saw these guys live in 2003?4? - that feels like a very long time ago now.  There are some great tracks on here, but "Robots" is my absolute fave - "It is the distant future.  The year 2000!"

and yes, I really love "Robots".  The channel gave this six thumbs up, four flights, one blob-yes, a few positive comments and one comment that it hasn't aged well, which I'm not entirely sure is fair because I think the more dubious bits weren't exactly serious even when it came out.  Wikipedia tells me that the album exists, but very little else except that it got to #1 in New Zealand, which pleased me.  It also tells me that two tracks were used in Rock Band, which seems an odd choice indeed.

"Customers also listened to" Tim Minchin, The Muppets and Dan Le Sac vs Scroobius Pip - which is an eclectic mix I guess.  But I like these guys for this album, their live show and the TV show - they're a smart and funny bunch.

21.09.24 : Love It When I Feel Like This - The Twang (2007)


I don't remember this one and my channel comment seems to suggest why

I'm not entirely sure how The Twang's presence completely passed me by, but somehow it did.  I generally quite like a bit of indie though so was hoping to like it - but somehow it just didn't click for me.  Maybe a few more listens might convert me - but I strongly doubt they'll get the chance.

The channel gave it three nices and a suggestion that I try a different one of their albums, which of course I haven't.  Wikipedia again doesn't have an awful lot on the album other than it was released - apparently it didn't do as well as the record company were hoping for.  However, despite this, it was released in the US two years later - it's not clear whether it did well over there or not (but I'm guessing not!)

"Customers also listened to" The Enemy, The Rifles and The Seahorses - fans of the definite article only need apply (The Seahorses album is a big favourite of mine though).  This felt like it was close to being liked by me, but just not quite there, I'm afraid.

So one I already knew and liked and two I didn't know but didn't quite click for me.  I wonder who won the round then?  Shall we have a band meeting, guys?  Jermaine?  Present!  Bret?  Present!  Well done to them FOTC dudes. 

21.09.20 - Three one word artists
21.09.28 - Do we allow compilation albums?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves