They call it Stormy Monday - but Tuesday's just as bad

Continuing my trip up #album-of-the-day...

21.09.10 : In Session - Albert King With Stevie Ray Vaughan (1999)

One that I was expecting to fall into the "admirable rather than enjoyable" category, but I actually liked it a lot more than I usually do with this sort of thing

I'm not generally a fan of recorded blues - it's something I prefer to experience live.  But, I'd have to say this was indeed enjoyable.

The channel gave it five thumbs up, three raised hands, one heart eyes and a lot of positive comments, particularly for Stevie Ray.  And shame on me - I never knew he was no longer with us (he only died 31 years ago though - I can't be expected to keep up to date with these things).  Wikipedia doesn't have a lot on the album, but does say that Albert wasn't going to do the album originally because he didn't know who Mr Vaughan was.  However, when it was explained to him that he did know him, but just as "little Stevie", then all was good.

"Customers also listened to" Freddie King (who isn't related) and Jimmy Vaughan (who is - Stevie's brother) - neither of whom there's the slightest chance of me listening to, even though I suspect they're both fantastic.  But I did quite like this album, which was a pleasant surprise.

21.09.13 : Cold Fact - Rodriguez (1970)


I know I was aware of this but never felt the inclination to listen to it - and having listened to it, I can't remember anything about it.  So I suspect I was underwhelmed - my channel comment was 

Always meant to watch the film and listen to the album - and now I've managed to do one of those things.  I thought it was OK - a less annoying Dylan, but nothing to drag me back personally.

so that seems to confirm that.  The album cover is somewhat underwhelming too - it's like someone was playing in Photoshop approximately one million years before Photoshop was invented.  The channel gave it six claps, a lot of love and one new joiner.  Wikipedia has less on the album than you might expect, with half a sentence allocated to the fact that there was an Oscar winning documentary about the man.  The album didn't chart anywhere in 1970, but did well in Australia in 1978, getting to #23 and staying in the charts for a year.  It then did somewhat better in various places in 2013/14 as the documentary was released - but all in all it's had a strange history.

"Customers also listened to" Nick Cave, Rufus Wainwright and Eels, which is a slightly more modern selection than I was expecting.  This is "OK" at best for me though, I'm afraid.

21.09.14 : Wolfmother - Wolfmother (2005)


The newest album in this round (being a mere 16 years old) is too noisy for my sensitive ears I'm afraid, but I managed to give it a little bit of love at the time

Not my sort of thing, but it's a very well done example of not my sort of thing, I have to admit...

The channel gave it a lot of love though, along with two thumbs up and eight horns.  Wikipedia tells us the album cover was far too offensive for conservative America due to the graphic nudity involved, so an alternate cover had to be produced for Walmart.  Critical opinion was mixed with some viewing it as merely a rip-off, but I prefer Q's take which was "far from rocket science, but immense fun nonetheless".  I also liked Total Guitars "ruddy marvellous" - do people even say "ruddy" any more?  The album did well enough commercially though - #25 in the UK and #22 in the US.

"Customers also listened to" The Black Keys, The White Stripes and Eagles Of Death Metal - none of whom I'm the slightest bit surprised to see on the list.  But this is a genre that just leaves me cold I'm afraid.

So in a somewhat surprising turn of events, Albert and Stevie take the round - yes the competition helped them, but it's a fine album which I liked a lot more than I was expecting to.

21.09.07 - A strange mix of sounds
21.09.15 - An interesting mix

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves