I'm glad I crashed the wedding - it's better than regretting

Continuing my trip up #album-of-the-day...

21.10.19 : A Present For Everyone - Busted (2003)

I'd not heard this, but have always had a bit of a soft spot for Busted - and the channel's rudeness before even listening to it didn't do it any harm for me either.  

Thankfully work is over and so I get a chance for the highlight of the day - listening to Busted!  Yes, it's easy to mock and I realise it's not everyone's cup of tea, but it's perfectly serviceable singalong pop and I'd say there's more variety there than I was expecting.  It's really not a million miles away from Dookie-era Green Day which is viewed as so much cooler - it's all a case of the audience you go after methinks.

The channel gave it one thinking snoopy, three surprised pikachus, one astonished samsung, one facepalm, three party thumbs, one thumbs up (that I just gave it because I felt sorry for it), a lot of negativity, some grudging acceptance that maybe it's not totally dreadful and some discussion as the most unrealistic line in "Year 3000" ("your great-great-great-grand-daughter" obviously).  Wikipedia has far more on the album than I was expecting and I learned that Tom Fletcher used to be in Busted before he left to form McFly and he co-wrote half this album as well.  Apparently the album was going to be called Drum Roll, but changed names at the last minute because they decided it was like a present - for everyone!  It was received well enough critically though (except by the channel) and got to #2 in the UK, kept off the top by Michael Jackson's Number Ones compilation album.  It still managed to sell a million copies in the UK though - not exactly shabby.

"Customers also listened to" McFly, McBusted and - Hans Zimmer.  Errr, OK.  I won't be rushing to search this one out again, but I didn't hate it and there's some good toe-tappy songs on there.

21.10.20 : Worst Case Scenario - dEUS (1994)


I didn't like this, did I?  

Anyways, back to dEUS - well, that certainly has some challenging passages of play, doesn't it?  I quite liked the bits that reminded me of Jesus Jones, but the only thing I can say about the bits that reminded me of The Velvet Underground is that they're not as bad as the real thing.  I give them credit for making the sound they want to but generally I'd prefer it if they went and did it somewhere else. 

No, I did not.  The channel gave it one thumbs up, one fire, a bit of love and a lot of reminiscing about the old days.  Wikipedia tells me that the lads are from Belgium and the UK music press had a tricky time categorising it which apparently made them unhappy.  And apparently they ended up calling it "art rock" and I'd have to say that's not a description I'd have used.  I was surprised it was as old as it was though - I'd have certainly put it sometime in this century (despite saying some of it reminded me of Jesus Jones - I'm not saying I always make a great deal of sense)

"Customers also listened to" Drugstore, Whale and PJ Harvey - and yeah, I can see it's not a million miles away from some of Polly's more challenging stuff (ie the stuff I don't like).  Not really for me, I'm afraid.

21.10.21 : A Laughing Death In Meatspace - Tropical Fuck Storm (2018)


I seem to recall I didn't like this, but I liked it a lot more than I was expecting to given the title and artist name

"I was going to pick a rude album, but here's some Tropical Fuck Storm instead".  Phew - I'm glad I didn't have to get all offended.  But yeah - it's tricky to describe exactly what that album is.  I think, like yesterday's, they're making the noises they want to (often with some demonstrable skill) but personally I'd prefer not to experience them.  It's also got very dense, impenetrable lyrics - I suspect there's a lot of (pseudo) deep meaning in there, but I missed it all.

I'm not convinced by the album cover either.  The channel gave it one thumbs up, one nice and some discussion as to whether Straight Outta Compton is rude or not (spoiler alert - it is).  Wikipedia has way more than I was expecting on the album (310 milliPeppers) - it gives it the full fan-tastic track by track breakdown (god knows why!).  It also tells me that the album title links "meatspace" (a Silicon Valley term for the real world) with kuru, a neuro-degenerative disease found in a cannibalistic Papua New Guinea tribe.  Admit it - you hadn't guessed that.  It also goes on about the lyrics a lot and says nicer things about them than dense and impenetrable - generally, the critics seemed to like it.

"Customers also listened to" Protomartyr, Cabbage and Pissed Jeans - charming!  And again, this one's not really for me.

I realise it won't be the most popular decision ever, but there's really only one of these albums I'd listen to again through choice, so the round has to go to Busted.  Well done, chaps!

21.10.14 - Some nice atmospheric sounds
21.10.22 - An unexpected winner

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves