I am a traveler of both time and space

Continuing my trip up #album-of-the-day...

21.08.11 : Physical Graffiti - Led Zeppelin (1975)

A group I've met five times before with variable results, but I think either this or IV are my favourite (whilst some of the others were extremely dubious).  I'd say this one was a pleasant surprise - "Kashmir" in particular is a fine track. 

The channel gave this five hearts, seven metals,  one zoso, one blues-clues-parrot (obviously) and lot of positively nostalgic comments - there's a whole lotta of love out there for Led Zep.

21.08.12 : The Magazine - Rickie Lee Jones (1984)

Another one from Mr Mulhearn and I know he's a massive fan, having tried to convert me a couple of times.  But I've bravely resisted - I think she's fine, but don't see what she has that elevates her above the competition.  My channel comment was

Like Joni, I always think I should like Rickie more than I manage to do so.  It just doesn't click for me somehow.

so Mr Mulhearn offered another of her albums up - Pirates, which apparently I preferred but I can't say it stuck with me.  The channel gave the original offering two thumbs up and a little bit of love (but not a lot!).  Wikipedia has a bit on the album but most of it seems to be telling us that she was in a bit of a bad place before this album, but she got over it.  OK - well done her.   I was somewhat surprised to see that NME voted it #10 in their year end poll though - it doesn't feel like an 80s NME kinda album to me.

"Customers also listened to" Phoebe Snow, Valerie Carter and Karla Bonoff - never heard of any of em!  Female singer-songwriters are generally right up my street, but Rickie doesn't make it to the top table for me and it feels unlikely she's going to break through now.

21.08.13 : In The Aeroplane Over The Sea - Neutral Milk Hotel (1998)


This is an odd one because you'd think it's right up my street, but I'd somehow avoided it until I was made to listen to it as part of the Rolling Stone list.  And I was disappointed to find it just didn't click.  Oh well, these things happen - I really should have tried it again as part of this list.  Or maybe even now.  But I just haven't.  I suspect the weird album cover isn't helping matters either.

The channel gave this five hearts, four carrots, two bouquets, one goat and a lot of positive comments - which didn't surprise me in the slightest.  And, one day I'll revisit it and try to understand what all the fuss is about.

At an average age of 36, this has to be the oldest round we've had so far and time has treated them all pretty well, I'd say.  Both Rickie and Neutral feel like they should be my sorta thing, but don't quite click for me - which leaves us in the somewhat surprising situation of declaring Led Zeppelin the winner.

21.08.06 - One I've fallen out of love with and two I'd forgotten
21.08.16 - Not a lot in common here

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves