This year, I told myself it'd be a better one

Continuing my trip up #album-of-the-day...

21.08.16 : Somersault - Beach Fossils (2017)

I think I liked this one but don't really remember it much, I'm afraid, so a re-listen is in order.  And yeah, it's not bad at all - jangly guitars and harmonies.  My channel comment was 

I quite like this - it would be lovely if the sun was out, but obviously that's expecting far too much.

so we were obviously experiencing exactly the sort of weather you'd expect for mid-August in the UK.  The channel gave this no emojis at all, which is rare (but it's holiday time I guess!), but it did manage one positive comment (apparently the previous album is also worth a listen) and one joiner.  Wikipedia has more on the album than I was expecting (129 milliPeppers) although most of it seems pointlessly detailed - I mean, there's even a section on the album cover design and how long do you think that took?  It does tell me it was well received critically - although it's not clear whether anyone actually bought it.

"Customers also listened to" Inner Wave, Chastity Belt and Wild Nothing - all of whom I'd guess from their names alone that they'd make very similar sounds.  But I liked this - it's another group to try and remember to check out more out of (and undoutedly fail).

21.08.17 : The Dark Pool - Thornhill (2019)


I don't remember this one either, but I'm always a bit cautious when the word "dark" appears in somewhere (see also "black", "death", "night" and "kittens").  And yes, my caution was well-placed - I actually don't overly mind the overall sound, but the vocal shoutiness is just too much for my delicate ears.  I see from Amazon that this is also one of those albums that the instrumental version is also available - I'm intrigued as to why people do that.  Karaoke feels unlikely to be the reason in this particular case - maybe it's for people like me that don't like the vocal shoutiness.  My channel comment was

Ahhh - "Australian metalcore".  Are there any other two words in the English language that convey such joy to my ears?!?  Well, yes - there are.  Not for me, I'm afraid.

The channel gave it two thumbs up, one ok-hands, two horns, one unexpectedly positive comment and one new joiner.  Wikipedia has nothing on the album - the band's entry tells me they're an Australian metalcore outfit, but I OBVIOUSLY already knew that.  It contains the following gem though "On Sunday 5 April 2020 a glitch in Triple J Darwin's broadcast system saw Thornhill make headlines when track Lily and the Moon was accidentally played on public radio on-loop for nearly 4 hours from approximately 4:30am to 8:30am".  Nice!

"Customers also listened to" Northlane, Loathe and Invent Animate - and I can assure you I won't be checking them out.  Just no, no, no.

21.08.18 : Neon Bible - Arcade Fire (2007)


There's a lot I like about Arcade Fire - the huge number of them, the attitude, the fun, the togetherness.  It's just a bit of a shame that I'm not always convinced "the music" is one of the reasons - it's sometimes all a bit too busy for me in general.  My channel comment was 

I like Arcade Fire, but not as much as I think I should - but this is probably my favourite of theirs.  "No Cars Go" is a fine track

and I think "No Cars Go" is probably peak Arcade Fire for me.  The channel gave this one mirror, three cars, one wave, one ocean, one cabbage, three thumbs up, seven hearts and a lot of love indeed.  Wikipedia has the expected reasonable amount (150 milliPeppers) which includes some fun facts including the album being recorded in a church they bought and renovated (which isn't a very rock and roll thing to do now, is it?).  The album received mostly positive critical reception (although some might have used the term "overblown") and did well commercially - #1 in Canada (obviously) and #2 in the UK and the US (kept off the top by Kaiser Chiefs and The Notorious BIG - can you guess which act relates to which country?).

"Customers also listened to" Editors, Bloc Party, LCD Soundsystem and The Walkmen - the last of whom I've never heard of.  But Arcade Fire will stay on my list of people I almost like I'm afraid.

So Neon Bible is undoubtedly the "best" album here and the one I know the best - it's just a case as to whether I feel like striking out and giving it to the little guys whose album I've only listened to twice (and couldn't remember from the first time).  And I think I will - well done to Beach Fossils!

21.08.11 - Some olllld albums
21.08.19 - Three albums spanning 45 years

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves