Angels circle around you 'cause you shouldn't be on your own

Continuing my trip up #album-of-the-day...

21.07.29 : Use Me - PVRIS (2020)

I remember this and I remember liking it.  And I also remember there was some weirdness about the name - did they used to be called Paris or am I making that up?  I'm also quite intrigued by the "bad passport photo" album cover.  My comment from the channel was 

Yeah, I like this - I'm getting La Roux and Ladytron vibes.  Was surprised to see they were American - it feels quite a British sound to me.

and the rest of the channel gave it two hands up, three nices and one thumbs up but no further discussion - it's not the general sort of thing it goes wild for.  Wikipedia doesn't have a lot to say on the album - it was delayed due to the pandemic but people generally liked it, with it getting to #14 in the UK.  And yes, they were originally called Paris but legal reasons meant they to had to change the name to PVRIS - which is obviously pronounced Paris.

"Customers also listened to" Dream State, YONAKA and Laurel - all of whom have popped up before against people I quite like, so I'll attempt to give them a go at some point.  And I'll also try to remember to check out more PVRIS because I liked this.

21.07.30 Keasbey Nights - Streetlight Manifesto (2006)


I vaguely remember I didn't like this but couldn't tell you the slightest thing about it, so I could be totally wrong!  My channel comment doesn't help either

Not generally my sort of thing, but it barrelled along nicely on a Friday morning...

so I went for a quick re-listen to remind myself what it was - ah yes, ska punk which definitely isn't my sort of thing.  I'm sure it's fun live, but it's not something I'd choose to listen to.  But there's certainly a lot of skill on display - it's particularly vocally dextrous.  I was also amazed there are (at least) three albums called Keasbey Nights (but more on this later).  The channel gave it three thumbs up, some positive comments and some further discussion on the production style - some for, some against.  Wikipedia explains that one of the other albums with the same title is by Catch-22, which was Thomas Kalnoky's (Streetlight Manifesto's founder) previous band - when he left there were apparently plans to re-release the album, so he just re-recorded the entire album with his new band.  And that's pretty much all it has to say on the matter.

"Customers also listened to" Catch-22 (no surprises there), Mustard Plug and Big D And The Kids Table - all of whom I can assure you I will be making no effort to check out.  But I have to admit that Streetlight Manifesto did their thing well - it's just not my sort of thing.

21.08.02 : Automatica - Nigel Stanford (2017)


Another one I don't remember - was I paying attention at all in July?!?  My channel comment gives me some hope

Didn't mind that - I was getting Robyn vibes from a few of the tracks

so another relisten was in order - and yeah, it's a good general electronicky sound.  I also got round to watch the accompanying robot video - which really is very impressive indeed.  The channel gave it two thumbs up and a load of related posts, but very little comment on old Nigel.  Wikipedia has nothing on the album and very little on the man - amusingly the top question that appears on Google is "Is Nigel Stanford real?", which seems a somewhat strange thing to ask.  Apparently he is real and comes from NZ, but that's all I can tell you, I'm afraid.

"Customers also listened to" a load of people I've never heard of, but you can just tell from the album covers they're producing the same kind of music.  Which I can be a bit hit or miss with, but I liked this.

So three good examples of their craft from three artists - PVRIS take the round for me because it's more up my street, but in other rounds they'd all have stood their chances.

21.07.26 - Still men, but not all angry
21.08.03 - At last, a strong round for the ladies

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves