Rest with me a while as I drift closer to sleep

Continuing my trip up #album-of-the-day...

21.07.26 : Toxicity - System Of A Down (2001)

No, not for me I'm afraid.  Just too noisy.  As I said back then...

I just like happy songs sung by happy people

...which isn't true, but it resulted in some truly dreadful musical suggestions.  The channel gave the album nine hearts, five thumbs up and six nices, so it's fair to say there's plenty of people that disagree with me.  Wikipedia had a surprising amount on the album (223 milliPeppers) - and I'm happy to report that a large portion of it is utter bollocks.  The album was undoubtedly successful despite this - only #13 in the UK, but #1 in the US.

"Customers also listened to" a load of people I have no intention of listening to - and I'm never going to listen to SOAD again unless forced to do so by the channel.  Sorry!

21.07.27 : Dark Eyes - Half Moon Run (2012)

I remember not minding this one (and being very pleased that the run of angry men was finally broken).  I mean, obviously they're still men, but at least they're not so angry

And whilst Half Moon Run don't sound to be the happiest bunch around, they broke the sequence of angry men nicely...

The channel gave this three nices and a lot of discussion as to where the angry men had gone and how they were looking forward to seeing some Sleaford Mods in the channel (thankfully that's not happened yet).  Wikipedia doesn't have an awful lot on the album - it was their debut album and did well in Canada (their home country) getting to #8, but it's fair to say it didn't exactly set the rest of the world alight (#186 in Wallonia, apparently).

"Customers also listened to" Matt Corby, Dan Mangan and Other Lives - all of whom sound like they could be Canadian, but only one of them is (Matt being Australian and Other Lives being American).  I liked this though - particularly in contrast to the recent angriness.

21.07.28 : Techno Pop - Kraftwerk (1986)


And I bet Kraftwerk never get angry - they might raise an eyebrow or two, but that would be as animated as those cheeky German funsters get.  This fell into the admirable rather than enjoyable category for me though...

i'd not heard that one before - interesting.  there's a lot of stuff on there that's been sampled further down the line, isn't there?

but whatever you think of them, there's no denying they were ahead of their time (this album is 35 years old!).  The channel gave it four thumbs up, several cheesy gifs and a couple of positive comments.  Wikipedia tells me the album was initially released under the title "Electric Café" but was re-released in 2009 under this title, which was what they were originally going to call it.  It also tells me that the album was not well received upon release - either critically or commercially, only getting to #58 in the UK and #156 in the US, with the general view appearing to have been "not as good as the last one".  If you fancy further Kraftwerk-related weirdness though I can thoroughly recommend the band's entry - there are some fine nuggets of eccentricity in there.

"Customers also listened to" Visage, Ultravox, Falco and Japan - all making similar noises at times, but not really being all that similar.  Partly because, well, who really is like Kraftwerk?  They've certainly found their niche and, whilst it's not exactly my thing, I applaud them for their efforts over the years.

All of which leaves Half Moon Run as the easy winners of the round for me and I might even celebrate by listening to it again - go me!

21.07.21 - Some angry men
21.07.29 - Some men who aren't angry - and a woman!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves