I'm doing my face with magic marker

Continuing my trip up #album-of-the-day...

21.08.03 : Goo - Sonic Youth (1990)

A group I've met several times before and it's fair to say I'm not a fan.  This is the best of a bad bunch, but that's not saying much.  My channel comment says no more than that, so I won't bother repeating it.  The rest of the channel was more communicative giving it two oofs, six blobs, one cowboy hat and one nice - I'm not sure whether this means they like or not.

21.08.04 : Chaleur Humaine - Christine And The Queens (2014)

I like Christine for her quirky take on things paired with excellent tunes.  And if you're not aware of her, then you definitely check out her out - enough said!  My channel comment was 

Yeah, I knew I loved that album but listened to it again anyway.  "Tilted" really is a cracking track. 

The channel gave this seven nices, five thumbs up, one ok-hand and one positive comment.  And then some discussion between myself and Mr Mulhearn as to how dreadful some of the old men on Jools Holland are - I include this link as exhibit A.  Wikipedia tells me the album title means "Human Warmth" which strikes me as a good phrase with dual meanings.  Apart from that, most of the entry is various track listings for the gazillion different versions that were released, but it finds enough space to tell me it was well received critically and commercially - #2 in the UK (kept off the top in a travesty of justice by The Very Best Of ELO - surely that only had one track on it?).  Amazingly, it also only got to #2 in France - it feels like it would have been #1 there for months, so I investigated a bit further and found it was in the top 10 for approximately 6 months, but never made it to the top.  Sounds like a cross-channel conspiracy to me - I demand justice for Christine!

"Customers also listened to" La Roux, Robyn and Jess Glynne - 3 other women I admire whilst being slightly scared of.  Christine is up there with the best of them though - this is a very fine album indeed.

21.08.05 : Blue - Joni Mitchell (1971)

Someone else I've met several times and it's not that I don't like her but I just don't see what all the fuss is about.  Like the all rest of them, this one is "fine" but no more than that.  My channel comment was merely "Hmmm" - the rest of the channel gave it two red hearts, one thumbs up, three blue hearts and a load of love from a couple of big fans.  I was told I should give it more time - which I kinda agree with, but there's so many albums and so little time that it's hard to do.  It's a fine album cover though - up close and personal.

My major take away from this round is that I'm disappointed the middle album of the round wasn't You (James Arthur or Mac Miller), Boo! (Was Not Was), Who (The Who) or 2 (Mac DiMarco).  However, I am pleased it was Christine though, because it was far and away the best album for me so she waltzes (or more likely oddly contemporarily dances) off with the round.

21.07.29 - Some men who aren't angry - and a woman!
21.08.06 - One I've fallen out of love with and two I'd forgotten

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves