What's ya name, man?

Continuing my trip up #album-of-the-day...

21.06.30 : New Me, Same Us : Little Dragon (2020)

I wasn't aware of the album or the artist before I listened to this, but I remember that I liked it - and then I listened to another Little Dragon album from this list later that day.  However, whilst I remember I quite liked it, I don't remember what it sounded like - so a re-listen is in order.  And yeah, I liked it (and I like the cool album cover as well).  And my channel comment at the time was

Yeah, I liked that!

so you can see my famed powers of description don't fail me when it comes to Little Dragon.  The channel gave this two nices and a few positive comments.  Wikipedia has a few sentences on the album, all of which are vying with each other to win the award for "least informative sentence" - although I did learn that it got to #55 in the US, which seems surprisingly high to me. I felt sorry for the band having such a useless entry for their latest album, so I checked out their entry and it's just as useless - it tells me they were formed in 1996 and then lists the 6 albums they've released.

"Customers also listened to" Tokimonsta, Darius, KAYTRANADA. Rone and a lot of other one-word artists, none of whom I can tell you the slightest thing about.  But I don't know if I've mentioned it previously, but it appears I quite like Little Dragon - even if I'm unable to provide any further explanation.

21.07.01 : NRTHNDR : Wisp (2005)

Another one I don't remember - the only thing I recall is some channel discussion as to how to pronounce the album name.  So I'd better relisten to this one as well then.  And hmmm - it's well-crafted evocative pointlessness, so I can see why I didn't remember it.  My channel comment was 

yeah, I didn't mind that.  he's a slightly more excited Ulrich Schnaus

The channel gave it four nices, one thumbs up, some positive comments and some discussion as to whether it was pronounced "Northern Doctor" or "Northender".  Given this album isn't on the normal streaming services, I'll be amazed if there's anything on Wikipedia - and there isn't.  In fact, it appears the single most informative source in existence on the man is the comment by the nominator in the channel.

"Customers also listened to" - nope, we don't know that either.  I didn't mind this, but the fact that I totally forgot even listening to it in four months suggests I'm unlikely to become an obsessive fan of it.

21.07.02 : Hamilton (Original Cast Recording) : Broadway Cast (2015)


An album I know extremely well because my daughters played it to death, but it's certainly an impressive piece of work and I like it, although I preferred it whilst watching the film of the show last year.  And tomorrow, I'll be able to tell if seeing it live is even better because I'm heading in to London to watch it - how's that for timing!?!  My channel comment was

Oooh - never heard of that.   Apart from CONSTANTLY over the last year because of my daughters playing it endlessly...  A fine choice, sir! 

The channel gave it six thumbs up, seven stars (which coincidentally is the name of a pub I used to live next to for a year - and never once went into), one heart, lots of positive comments for this (a surprising number of people have seen it!) and musicals in general and some discussion as to whether it's better to see the show or listen to the soundtrack first (soundtrack first for me - which is lucky, isn't it?).  Wikipedia has a reasonable amount on the album, but all it basically says is that everyone went mad for it.  It got to #2 in the US (finally - after the film was released last year) which made it the highest charting cast album since Hair in 1969.  The entry also includes the following interesting snippet - "Lin-Manuel Miranda made a conscious decision to exclude one scene in the performance from the cast album, "Tomorrow There'll Be More of Us", also known as Laurens' Interlude".  I was obviously intrigued as to why, so investigated further but the reasons are so dull that I can't be bothered typing them out.

"Customers also listened to", unsurprisingly, a load of other musical soundtracks - most of which I'm not tempted by in the slightest, although I'm intrigued by the fuss about The Book Of Mormon.  But Hamilton is an undoubtedly impressive creation and I'm really looking forward to seeing it!

A pretty good round this time. but one album stood out from the other two both in terms of musical style and overall quality - one more award for Lin-Manuel Miranda's somewhat overburdened mantelpiece.

21.06.25 - An easy win for the newcomer
21.07.05 - A round featuring both my birthday and my selection

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves