If I can't bring you to my house, I'll bring my house to you

1980s – I don’t like country music.

1990s – I don’t like country music.

2000s – I don’t like country music.

2013 – OK, OK - I give up.


It plays a long game, but it gets you in the end.  I’d still say I don’t like most country music, but it never hurts to admit you’re wrong (although there’s a possibility that some mellowing with age might be involved) and Kacey Musgraves is most definitely the exception that proves the rule.  Pageant Material (her second album) is a fine choice, but pride of place has to go to Same Trailer, Different Park (her debut) with its collection of finely crafted songs with exquisite lyrics offering a mix of wry observation, humour and pathos.   I had the pleasure of seeing her first appearance in the UK on a sunny afternoon in the Acoustic Tent at Glastonbury and it was an absolute delight watching both her and the audience grow to love each other.


My high points from the album are “Merry Go Round” and “My House”, but the opening couplet of “Follow Your Arrow” is worth the price of admission alone 


If you save yourself for marriage, you’re a bore

If you don’t save yourself for marriage, you’re a horr-

-ible person





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves