This hit, that ice cold Michelle Pfeiffer, that white gold

Continuing my trip back through the 2015 album charts.

01/02/15 : Uptown Special - Mark Ronson


I obviously know "Uptown Funk" and think it's well done, if not exactly my thing. I'm expecting the rest of the album to be similar but not quite as good, soon getting tiresome.

I'm not far off, but I'd say the rest of it is still all well put together and there's little danger of it getting tiresome because it only lasts for 38 minutes. It is noteworthy for the appearance of Stevie Wonder because that man can improve anything, but apart from that and "Uptown Funk" it all went in one ear and out the other. I guess it's fine if you want a bit of funk/soul/R&B, but not really my thing.

We're at #3 on the chart this week on his second week of a twelve week run having debuted at #1, pretty much all of which must have been down to "Uptown Funk". The rest of the top five are Meghan (another new entry), EdSam and George and we have two more new entries in the top ten for The Charlatans (#7 - one I've not listened to) and Rae Morris (#10).

Wikipedia has way more on the album than I was expecting (150 milliPeppers) and even having read it, I'm not entirely sure what they managed to say. It's his fourth album, his first since 2010 and there are approximately a million people involved in it. The critics were fulsome in their praise with hardly anyone having a bad word to say about it and lots of people having a load of nonsense to say about it, including The Daily Telegraph who said it was "somewhere between a chin-stroking jazz poetry recital and a riotous teenage disco" (spoiler alert - it isn't). 

Commercially, it was a peculiar one, doing very well in some places (#2 in Australia, #3 in Canada, #5 in the US), middling in others (#18 in France, #23 in Germany) and surprisingly poorly in others (#55 in Spain, #72 in Italy). It really had legs in the US though, selling over a million copies and getting to #27 in the year-end chart - which doesn't really surprise me because it's quite a US kinda sound.

"Customers also listened to" Bruno Mars, Julian Moon, Daniel Merriweather and Rhonda - a slightly strange mix and I feel that would please Mark Ronson because he's a man who likes a slightly strange mix of things. Which sometimes works out well and sometimes not so well - here's it's well put together and I think he can be proud of it, but it doesn't hit the spot for me.

25/01/15 - Better than I was expecting
01/02/15 - A most peculiar beast

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves