I think I fell in love again - maybe I just took too much cough medicine

Continuing my trip back through the 2015 album charts.

25/01/15 : American Beauty/American Psycho - Fall Out Boy


I don't think I like Fall Out Boy, but I'm never entirely sure whether that's true - let's see shall we?

Hmmm - they're a bit shouty, but I think they stay just this side of the line. I can imagine that they're a load of fun live, but a whole album would have been a bit too much except that it was a very reasonable 40 minutes. Overall, I didn't mind it but didn't love it  I was surprised to hear Suzanne Vega's "Tom's Diner" riff in "Centuries" though - it doesn't feel like they would be big Suzanne fans (and that song has a surprisingly interesting Wikipedia entry).

We're at #2 with a new entry this week on the start of a 46 week run - how on earth did it manage that? (and it managed another 19 week run in '16). The rest of the top five were Mark Ronson (another new entry) and, you guessed it, EdSam and George and there are two more new entries in the top ten for Enter Shikari (#6 - St Albans's finest) and Belle & Sebastian (#9).

Wikipedia had loads more on the album than I was expecting (254 milliPeppers) but I believe they're a band that has some very loyal fans. It's their sixth album and I was most amused to hear that a remixed version was put out called Make America Psycho Again. As well as Suzanne Vega, in places the album also borrows from Motley Crue, Son Lux (nope, never heard of them) and The Munsters theme tune. Critically, the reviews were pretty positive and commercially this is one of those albums that did best in English speaking countries, getting to #1 in the US and Canada, #3 in Australia and #4 in New Zealand but it also did pretty well in Germany and Scandinavia, which didn't overly surprise me because they do like a bit of mopey shouty music.

"Customers also listened to" Panic! At The Disco, The Out, twenty one pilots and My Chemical Romance - similar sounding bands as far as I'm aware of these things, which isn't really all that far. Younger me would have definitely have preferred this to older, calmer me but I reckon I'd still appreciate them live as long as I could have a sit down away from the crush. I'm so rock and roll, me...

18/01/15 - Perplexingly popular 
01/02/15 - Well put together, but not for me

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves