How am I to ever explain how my melted heart went right down the drain?

Completing my trip back through the 2015 album charts.

04/01/15 : A Perfect Contradiction - Paloma Faith


Paloma's been mentioned in passing as a new entry in a couple of posts but this is our first proper meeting with the lass - I find her personally quite annoying so I've tended to avoid her music, so I might be in for a very pleasant surprise (but somehow I doubt it).

You know what -  it's pleasant enough! They are all decent enough tracks with quite a strong 60s/70s R&B/disco vibe to the whole thing (with a surprising amount of cowbell on some songs) and she's got a decent (if still slightly annoying) voice. There's no danger of me listening to it again but I certainly didn't mind it - she played Pub In The Park last week and I imagine it was a perfect sound for a sunny Sunday afternoon. I'm not sure who thought we needed a 93 minute expanded edition though - the 38 minute original was more than enough for me.

We're at #5 in the charts this week on her 43rd week of an impressive 84 week run, with it having peaked at #2 in its first and fifth weeks. The rest of the top five were the unsurprising combination of GeorgeEdSam and Taylor and the highest new entry was Iggy Azalea (all the way down at #59).

Wikipedia has one of the those entries that looks like it has quite a bit of information in it, but turns out to be all padding. It's her third album and there are a lot of people involved in it - Pharrell Williams, Plan B, Diane Warren, Bernard Butler and Ella Eyre are the people I recognise, but there are many, many more with 26 writers across 15 tracks! The critics were a bit mixed on it, but most of the complaints were about the lack of originality which seems harsh given that she's obviously going for a retro vibe. Commercially it did well in most English speaking countries - #4 in Australia, #8 in Ireland and #9 in New Zealand but only #176 in the US. It really did very well here though - #6 in the '14 year-end chart and #23 in the '15 one.

"Customers also listened to" Andra Day, Emeli Sandé, Rebecca Fergusion and Duffy - I don't know Andra but I think I can kinda guess what she sounds like. This isn't exactly my go-to sound, but I'm a sucker for a strong female voice and there's not denying that's what we've got here.

11/01/15 - You gotta love a bit of Olly
2015 - over and out!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves