I drew a broken heart right on your window pane

Continuing my trip back through the 2015 album charts.

11/01/15 : Never Been Better - Olly Murs


Well, it's been a long time but we've finally got to another album "we" own - in this case, the owner was our youngest who went through a massive Olly phase around this time, so I'm actually a bit of a connoisseur of Mr Murs's music. Having said that, the only one of his we ever listen to these days is Right Place, Right Time (which is surprisingly decent) so I've got no idea what's on this one.

Funnily enough, this isn't his Scandi death metal offering - if you know Olly's stuff, then nothing here will surprise you. There are decent tunes which are sung well enough and some variety, but not enough to frighten the horses. It does have a few particularly decent tracks on it though - "Wrapped Up", which always reminds me of Shalamar, "Up", which is probably one of my favourites of his and "Let Me In", which is a nice closer. There's nothing here to convert anyone, but if you had a youngster who loved Olly then it was an absolutely essential purchase.

We're at #5 in the charts this week on his sixth week of a 36 week run having debuted at #1 and it managed another fourteen week run in '16 as well, so it did OK for itself. The rest of the top five were SamEdGeorge and Taylor and there were no new entries in the entire chart this week - early January never being a popular time for putting new things out there.

Wikipedia doesn't have loads on the album - it's his fourth album and there were a lot of people involved in putting it together. Including Paul Weller, which was a name I wasn't expecting to see - he co-wrote "Let Me In". The critics were pretty mixed, but the guy from Trucking (yes, a magazine about trucks and driving them) REALLY didn't like it - I do hope that truckers weren't Olly's target audience. Despite Trucking's best efforts, it did well enough commercially, getting to #7 in Ireland and a surprisingly high #42 in the US.

"Customers also listened to" The Vamps (who I'm off to see later in the month), Take That (who I'm not off to see any time ever, but I'd still rather see than Oasis), Union J and JLS. This is a perfectly listenable album with more high spots than you might expect - I do have a soft spot for him because of the amount of time I've been forced to listen to him, but he also seems like a decent guy and there's really nothing wrong with this.

04/01/15 - Better than expected
18/01/15 - Perplexingly popular 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves