That's the rebel radio sound

Continuing my trip back through the 2015 album charts.

05/04/15 : The Day Is My Enemy - The Prodigy


Our first visit with The Prodigy - I suspect it won't be our last, but it's taken us a fair bit of time to get round to them. I've listened to a few of their albums and found them to be pretty varied - the band have never seemed entirely sure what they want to sound like. And I've never heard this album, so I've no idea what to expect here.

I'd say this is a pretty classic Prodigy album, which I don't mind when I'm in the mood for it (and fortunately I was when I listened to it). The opening and title track (featuring Martina Topley-Bird) is slightly different though and I particularly liked it. I would say that some of the tracks and the album as a whole could have done with some pruning - I just didn't need 56 minutes of it. However, I much preferred it to some of their other stuff I've heard and I do like the album cover.

We're at #1 with a new entry in the chart this week on the start of a twelve week run which features a drop every week except for one where it stayed in the same position. The rest of the top five were JamesSamEd and Sia (as high as she's ever been in 103 weeks on the chart) and there are two more new entries in the top ten for Sufjan Stevens (#6) and Circa Waves (#10).

Wikipedia tells us this is their sixth album and they took six years pulling it together - apparently they were never huge fans of putting albums out and this one is quite unusual because all the band members got involved on it. Somewhat surprisingly, the album title comes from a Cole Porter lyric - they don't strike me as obvious Cole fans. The critics were mostly nice enough about it although some thought they were trying a bit too hard,  but it did well commercially across Europe making the top twenty in most countries - but only #127 in the US though.

"Customers also listened to" Pendulum, The Chemical Brothers, Underworld and Goldie - some definite similar sounds there. There's really only one Prodigy though and whilst I'm not a huge fan, it feels like this hits the required buttons for those that are.

29/03/15 - No, no, no, no
12/04/15 - Pretty enjoyable

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves