I used to wrestle with bears and kiss poisonous snakes

Continuing my trip back through the 2015 album charts.

19/04/15 : Glitterbug - The Wombats


Somewhat surprisingly this is our third visit with them Wombats - I've generally enjoyed their stuff so far and have absolutely no reason to assume I won't enjoy this.

Yeah, there's nothing wrong with this, although it's surprisingly downbeat for a group that are generally relentless upbeat - I imagine some thought it was a nice change of pace and some wanted more of the same. I didn't mind it at all - I'd struggled to describe it as groundbreaking but it's definite a step above the average with decently put together songs with intelligent lyrics and there are certainly far worse things the kids could be listening to! I was also pleased to see that the deluxe edition came in a tight 45 minutes - no danger of track bloat here.

We're at #5 with a new entry in the charts this week on the start of a mere three week run which feels like the lowest we've seen all year. The rest of the top five were a Paul Simon best-of (a new entry, which in comparison did 33 weeks), JamesEd and Sam and we have one more new entry in the top ten for Halestorm (#10) - which I have a sneaking suspicion I just might not like.

Wikipedia doesn't have a lot on the album - it's their third and the critics liked it, except for the grumpy guy from The Guardian. Commercially, it did better away from these shores than such things tend to do, getting to #2 in Australia, #30 in Germany and even #91 in the US, their best performing album over there.

"Customers also listened to" Love Fame Tragedy, Cattlefish & The Bottlemen, The Vaccines and Sea Girls - they're close but they're not all that Wombatty (that's a word, right?). And actually I didn't feel this album was peak Wombat, but it's still an enjoyable listen.

12/04/15 - Pretty enjoyable
26/04/15 - Enjoyably weird

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves