The ship shows me where to go when I needn't speak

Continuing my trip back through the 2015 album charts.

26/04/15 : Sound And Color - Alabama Shakes


Spell Colour. 
C - O - L - O - U -R
That is INCORRECT!
(© Speak & Spell)

I remember Alabama Shakes did one decent single (which I liked), but can't for the life of me remember what it was - I suspect it will be on here otherwise we wouldn't be listening to it. But I've got no idea what the rest of it is going to be like.

Nope, it's not on here but I can't help but feel people must have remembered it which is why this did so well - because there would have been no chance of this doing anything otherwise. It's actually quite an interesting album with a fair amount of variety and skill involved, but it's got some very odd noises on it - it's kinda like Kings Of Leon dialled up to weird with a female vocalist. I enjoyed it as something different from what we've seen but I'd struggle to say I'll be rushing back to it.

We're are #7 in the charts this week with a new entry on the start of a fifteen week run. The top five this week was Josh Groban (a new entry), Paul Simon, EdSam and James - it's a good week for guys with single syllable names, but the next highest new entry was the multi-syllable Passenger (#12).

Wikipedia has more than I was expecting on the album (120 milliPeppers) but there's very little of interest in there. It's their second and (currently) last album because Brittany went solo. The critics generally liked it, with Exclaim! declaring it was "deliberately weird record, but authentically weird; it's chaotic yet cohesive" which actually makes a surprising amount of sense if you listen to the album. It also won four Grammies - they hand out awards to the oddest things at times. Commercially it may have done surprisingly well over here, but it absolutely crushed it in the US, getting to #1 - it is much more of an American sound, but even so.

"Customers also listened to" St Paul & The Broken Bones, Nathaniel Rateliff & The Night Sweats, Shakey Graves and Black Pumas - nope, never heard of any of them. Which doesn't massively surprise me because this is very much not my sound, but I did enjoy this as a change from some of the distinctly average fare we've seen this year.

19/04/15 - Fine, without being earth-shattering
03/05/15 - It's all about that headache

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves