Can I ask you a question?

Continuing my trip down The Guardian's Top 50 TV Shows of 2023 

#18 : Dreaming Whilst Black 

Fresh, funny and unlike any other comedy on TV – this full series was created after it won a Bafta based on its pilot alone, and it was the year’s most unique sitcom debut. The tale of an aspiring film-maker Kwabena’s (Adjani Salmon, who also created the show) who struggles to be taken seriously by the rich, white denizens of the movie industry was packed with razor-sharp observational humour about casual racism, health inequality and the difficulties of succeeding while staying true to your community. There were white office workers making weird confessions about penis size, excruciating Busta Rhymes karaoke sessions involving the N-word and a bartender who assumes that all customers of colour must know each other (“Are you paying together?” “No, we’re just … Black”). A triumph.

Another one I've never heard of - it feels a very worthy Guardian-esque kinda thing, which I suspect I might struggle to connect with.

And I both did and didn't. In some ways, it's very black-centric and includes a lot of jokes about Aunties and hair and other topics which I know are culturally relevant but I don't really get - it's possible these topics are over-played but I'm not the best person to comment on this. However, in other ways it's just about people struggling to make their way in the world which applies to everyone - it also has a good line on white reactions to black culture which I certainly had more of a handle on!

It's well acted with everyone feeling pretty natural - Adjani Salmon takes centre stage but shares it nicely with everyone. I'd also call out Demmy Ladipo as Maurice the nervous father-to-be and Rachel Adedeji as Funmi the no-nonsense expectant mother because they're both very relatable.

I enjoyed it well enough but didn't find it hilarious - I'd say it's more well observed than comedic. Having said that I did find there was at least one instance in every episode that made me laugh out loud, which is a pretty good hit rate for comedies for me. It also manages to be quite serious at times (particularly episode 4, which threw a massive curveball from left field). So I quite liked it but I didn't love it and found I didn't care enough about the characters to stick with it til the end - it's a recommendation if you think you might like it, but if you do then you've probably already had it recommended to you. Either way, it's on iPlayer!

#17 - Really well written
#19 - Sorry, no time available for this

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves