They say tomorrow's never promised, honest

Continuing my trip forward in time through the album charts

05/07/24 : Loom - Imagine Dragons

Our first visit with Imagine Dragons - I've bumped into them a few times over the years, but I'm not sure I'd recognise any of their tracks. It's kinda trippy pop, isn't it?

Yeah, kinda trippy pop is about it - it’s very kitchen sinky with all sorts thrown in there. It’s an odd one because I’d say I generally quite liked it but I was very much left thinking “what am I supposed to do with this?”. It feels like it’s probably best experienced live, screaming along to all the words - whereas I listened to in a sports centre cafe, which maybe isn’t the ideal location. But I still quite liked it - particularly “Eyes Closed”, which I’d heard but didn’t know was them. I like the album cover as well.

We're at #5 with a new entry in the chart this week and the rest of the top five are Taylor (her eighth week at the top, which is very impressive indeed), Billie, Dua (up from #27- people liked her Glasto show I guess) and Charli - once again Chappell Roan was unlucky not to get picked at #6. The only other new entries in the entire chart are Camilla Cabello (#20 - it feels like she’s trying to out-XCX Charli and it doesn’t quite work for me), Johnny Cash (#42 - I quite liked this, it’s a fine effort from someone who died over 20 years ago), Headie One (#52 - not my sort of thing at all) and Megan Thee Stallion (#93 - I'm intrigued as why this is so low, but there's no chance of me listening to it).

Last week I said that Gracie would drop to #12 and she's at #15, so I'll take that as a win after having been way off for the previous three weeks. I've no real idea how hardcore Imagine Dragons fans are - let's pick #34 pretty much at random. Taylor's had a shocker of week - she's only got one album in the top ten.  Poor lass! She does have six in the top thirty and ten in the entire chart to console herself though.

Wikipedia has a bit on the album and it suggests they take themselves very seriously indeed - splitting their fans into three groups (Croyants, Guerriers and Reveurs, obviously) and getting them to compete for song snippets. All of which feels far too much like hard work to me. The critics generally liked the album and it's gone down well commercially in Europe getting to #1 in Belgium and Switzerland and #2 in Germany.

"Customers also listened to" Camilla Cabello, Twenty One Pilots, Glass Animals and Dean Lewis - a slightly peculiar mix, but Glass Animals feel very much on the same page. I'm left uncertain about this one - I think there's a lot to like about it, but I couldn't quite tell you why.

28/06/24 - I liked this
12/07/24 - Somewhat underwhelming

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves