Can we get back to the darkest lullaby?

Continuing my trip forward in time through the album charts

12/07/24 : Happenings - Kasabian

Our FOURTH visit with Kasabian - I've generally liked what I've heard well enough, so have a reasonable level of expectation for this.

Hmmm - maybe I wasn't in the mood for it, but this really didn't do it for me. There are some interesting enough sounds on it, but the singing is nothing to write home about and the lyrics are very dull indeed. I'm almost tempted to give it another go just to check, but we all know that's not going to happen.

We're at #1 with a new entry in the chart this week and the rest of the top five is a clean sweep for the ladies with TaylorBillieCharli and Chappell Roan (she's made it into the top five so I checked it out - I quite liked it and may well yet get to write about it). It's a very quiet week for new entries in the chart so I checked them all out. Zach Bryan (#16) confused me initially because I thought he was Zac Brown - and he's actually not a million miles away, but I think he's closer to Bruce Springsteen (who appears on one of the tracks) or Jason Isbell. I really quite liked this - it's very poetic with some absolutely gorgeous lyrics on it. And the only other new entry is Rifles (#73) which is bouncy indie-pop which would probably be fun on a sunny festival day, but is a bit too much to manage a whole album of.

Last week I guessed that Imagine Dragons would drop to #34 and my dreadful run of guesses continues because they're at #99 - I struggle to imagine Kasabian faring as poorly, so let's go for #34 for them as well. And this week's Taylor stats are a none-too-shabby two in the top ten, six in the top thirty and ten in the entire chart.

Wikipedia tells us this is their eighth album and it's a mere 28 minutes long (it felt longer). And that's about it, other than noting that it has gained "generally favourable reviews" and it's reached #40 in Japan.

"Customers also listened to" Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds (is there a more unwieldy group name?), The Snuts, Kaiser Chiefs and Sea Girls - none of which I'd say sound particularly like this album. Let's just say I like plenty of their stuff, but I'm not a fan of this so we'll move on...

05/07/24 - A bit messy, but not a bad mess
19/07/24 - Less offensive, but less impressive

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves