Let's go back to simplicity - I feel like I've been missin' me

Continuing my trip back through the 2015 album charts.

04/09/15 : I Cry When I Laugh - Jess Glynne


Yay - she's FINALLY got her moment in the spotlight! This is an album we own (it's somewhere in the house, but don't ask me to find it!) so we're up to three all year now - I seem to recall it's not bad at all, although her voice can be quite annoying at times.

Hmmm - it's OK I guess, but not as good as I imagined it would be. I liked "Hold My Hand", "Don't Be So Hard On Yourself" and "Right Here" and there are also a couple of decent singles included on the deluxe version, but it always feels a bit of a cheat to review something other than the original. The rest of it was OK, but none of it was exactly essential - it's a bit pop-lite and a bit all over the place.

We're at #2 this week on her second week of an extremely impressive 117 week run with it having peaked at #1 in its debut week. It then took two months off and came back for an equally impressive 85 week run and it's currently up to 278 weeks in total with it last being seen in September 2021. The rest of the top five were The Weeknd, Foals, Ella Eyre and Sam Smith, with only Sam not being a new entry and also had the odd pairing of Halsey (#9) and Motorhead (#10) also making their debut appearances.

Wikipedia has a more-than-expected 159 milliPeppers on the album but there's an awful lot there that's either filler or of no interest to anyone. The critics were decent enough about her talent, but weren't convinced it worked as an album - The Guardian made me chuckle saying it was a "lengthy collection intended to showcase her talents. It’s unclear quite what those are, however" (which seems a bit harsh). Commercially it did well enough though, also getting to #3 in Ireland, top twenty in quite a few European countries and #25 in the US. It's also had a lengthy tail here, featuring in the year-end chart every year from '15 to '21.

"Customers also listened to" Clean Bandit, Olly Alexander, Rudimental and Ella Eyre - we're not falling far from the tree there. I thought this was OK, but it wasn't as good as I was expecting it to be - she feels like a "best-of" artist (probably often accompanying others).

28/08/15 - Very not good
11/09/15 - Such a slog

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves