I requested counsel with the councillor and he cancelled twice

Continuing my trip forward in time through the album charts

31/05/24 : Clancy - Twenty One Pilots

I know this is our second visit with Twenty One Pilots, but without checking the previous entry I'd struggle to tell you what kind of music they produce - and having checked it I'm none the wiser.  I believe it's rocky/indie stuff but I could be entirely making that up.

Nope, it seems I was close enough with my memory - but, unlike our last visit, I didn't mind this at all.  It's got a kinda Depeche Mode/Green Day vibe to it, with a nice amount of variety across the album - I particularly liked "Navigating" which is a more up tempo number and "The Craving" which slows things down nicely.  I'm not saying I'll ever come back to it, but it would sound good in the car in the sunshine (assuming we ever get any) with the windows down.

We're at #2 on the chart this week with a new entry and the rest of the top five are Taylor, Billie, Paul Weller and Bring Me The Horizon (both new entries) with the next highest new entry being Meekz (#12).  In the spirit of checking out new entries if I've got the time, I can report that it's one of Mr Weller's better recent offerings, although I got definite rumblings of mortality and was reminded of Bowie's Blackstar in quite a few places, so I'm hoping Paul doesn't have some unfortunate news for us.  On a more positive note, I can report that BMTH deliver exactly what you'd expect, so if you like that sort of thing you're in for a treat (and I can also report that Mrs Reed very much does not like that sort of thing).  The only other new entry I was even slightly tempted to check out was Wallows (#38) - mostly to check out if they were the indie rock/pop sound I was expecting from their name and they very much are, and I quite liked it.

Last week I said that Billie would hold on to #1 and we've already seen I got that wrong - Twenty One Pilots feels like a mid-twenties kinda placing to me, so let's go for #24.  And this week's Taylor stats are one in the top ten, three in the top twenty and nine in the entire chart - her slump down into the nineties has ended with her having three albums in the eighties this week and I suspect she's safe at least until her tour has finished up here.

Wikipedia tells us this is their seventh album and it's a visual album (each track has an accompanying video) and the final track in their conceptual series - apparently the action on the album takes place in the dystopian city of Dema on the metaphorical world of Trench, but I have to admit that all of this might have passed me by.  Whatever was going on, the critics were pretty complimentary about it and it's done well commercially, getting to the top five in quite a few countries and reaching #1 in Germany and Australia.

"Customers also listened to" Cage The Elephant, Wallows, half alive and Future Of The People - ah yes, that lot.  But I didn't mind this at all, even if I don't really know how to describe it - I can't say I'll be racing back to it, but I'd be happy enough to stumble across it again.

24/05/24 - Better on a second listen
07/06/24 - A fine "that sort of thing"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves