All the red flags you chose to ignore

Continuing my trip forward in time through the album charts

07/06/24 : Believe Me Now? - Becky Hill

Our second visit with Becky - like last time, I'm sure it'll be fine examples of "that sort of thing" which I don't mind when I'm in the mood.

And yeah, it's fine.  I liked "Outside Of Love", "Lonely Again" and "Disconnect" (which features Chase & Status and it's very Chase&Status-y) and all the rest of it is perfectly listenable. The whole album does risk being a bit too much, but I think there's just enough variety across it to stop that happening.  There's nothing here that hasn't been done multiple times before but there's plenty of people who've done it far worse.

We're at #3 with a new entry this week and the rest of the top five are TaylorBillie, Ateez (another new entry - some very weird K-pop kitchen sink sounds) and Richard Hawley (and another one - feels like the fans will like it, but I always like his songs but not the way he sings them). There are two more new entries in the top ten for Crowded House (#8 - this sounds like, but not as good as, Crowded House) and K-Trap (#10 - UK rap which seemed OK to my uncultured ear). I also checked out a couple more new entries for Richard Thomson (#46 - pretty much as you'd expect it to be) and Bat For Lashes (#73 - ditto).

Last week I said that Twenty One Pilots would drop to #24 and they're at #18, so I'll take that as being in the correct ballpark - I think Becky will do slightly better so I'm going for #13. And this week's Taylor stats are one in the top ten, five in the top thirty and nine in the entire chart and my suspicion is that they'll all be climbing the chart next week as her tour hits the country.

Wikipedia has more than I expected, which somehow manage to contain less than I expected - basically she's released a load of singles from it (seven!) and the critics liked it a lot. It's also charted in some peculiar places - New Zealand (#29), Ireland (#54) and Belgium (#177).

"Customers also listened to" Sonny Fodera, Ella Henderson, Rita Ora and Joel Corry - I don't know Sonny, but the others are very much in the same ballpark. I've got a lot of time for Becky because she's worked hard for her success and she's certainly enjoying it, so I'm pleased this has done so well for her - it's not ground-breaking, but it's all perfectly listenable.

31/05/24 - More enjoyable than I expecting
14/06/24 - I was expecting more

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves