Why would you lie about how much coal you had?

Continuing my trip up #album-of-the-day...

21.06.01 : Vessel : Twenty One Pilots (2013)

I remember not liking this one, but my main comment was...

Does this album ever end?

...and then it was pointed out to me that I was listening to it on repeat (doh!).  But a quick relisten to a few of the tracks convinced me my memory hadn't failed me - it's really not my sort of thing.  The channel gave it no emojis, a couple of positive comments, a long discussion around long albums (which I might have been at least partially responsible for), one leaver and one new joiner.  Wikipedia has a reasonable amount on the album, but most of it is very dull - except for the fact that "The album cover features the duo's paternal grandfathers" and goes on to namecheck them, which is pretty cool.  The album had mixed critical reviews but did OK commercially - #21 in the US and #39 in the UK.  However, given that it's apparently sold over 2 million copies in the US, I'm guessing it must have been a bit of a slow burner and people loved it when they discovered it.  

"Customers also listened to" Future Of The People, Bastille, lovelytheband and X Ambassadors - I can only tell you something about one of these and that's that I don't see they're all that similar to Twenty One Pilots.  Not for me I'm afraid, particularly if you listen to it on repeat by mistake (although I graciously admit this isn't their fault).

21.06.02 : Vampire Weekend : Vampire Weekend (2008)

One I own and like, but hadn't listened to it ages.  My channel comments were...

I like this and haven't listened to it in ages, so it'll be good to catch up.  It's scary that it's 13 years old now though.  The main problem I have with this album is that it never actually answers the question "Why would you lie about how much coal you had?"

...which launched a side discussion about Oxford commas, which Mr Mulhearn won with his comment "I have no skin in the game as I've never used them, don't know what it means, and see no reason to start now".  The channel also gave the album five hearts, four hands up, four thumbs up, three vampires, a few positive comments and lots of discussion about how old we all are (with some being older than others!).  Wikipedia has a few paragraphs on the album, but my favourite bit is that people had a go at them because it sounded like Graceland, which resulted in Paul Simon saying that he liked it - I'm not entirely sure this would have had quite the effect he was intending though.  It was generally well received critically and also did well enough commercially - #15 in the UK and #17 in the US.

"Customers also listened to" Passion Pit, Phoenix, MIA and The Strokes - well, that's an odd mix, isn't it?  But this is a fine album and I really should listen to it more often - I might even find out why you'd lie about such things.

21.06.03 : Is This It? : The Strokes (2001)


One I have owned, didn't like and had to listen to recently to confirm how much I didn't like.

The channel liked it though with eleven nices, one fire and a LOT of positive comments - and they're fully entitled to their wrong opinions!

An eeezy win for Vampire Weekend for me.

21.05.26 - Three from the early(ish) 2010s
21.06.04 - A strong round

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves