His books remind me more of him than he does now

Continuing my trip up The Guardian's top 50 films of 2023

#37 :  Un Beau Matin (One Fine Morning)

Léa Seydoux sparkles in poignant drama from Mia Hansen-Løve, the powerful story of a single mother torn between emotionally unavailable men.

Oh look - another French film! I know this is our second film from Mia Hansen-Løve and I remember the last one being very well acted and shot but leaving me somewhat cold - and I had to do a quick search to remind me it was Bergman Island. So I'm expecting technical proficiency here, but maybe a lack of engagement on my part.

We follow Sandra (Léa Seydoux) as she attempts to look after both her daughter Linn (Camille Leban Martins) as a single mother, after the death of her husband and her father Georg (Pascal Greggory) who has some kind a neurodegenerative disease.  And then, Clement (Melvil Poupaud), an old friend pops up - and he's married with a son, so she really shouldn't start sleeping with him, should she?

However, from the film's point of view, it's a good job she does - because there's very little else going on in her life. It's fair to say it doesn't make her very happy though and much soul-searching and hand-wringing results. It does feel quite a realistic portrait of life and some of the decisions that have to be made but I'm afraid that doesn't exactly make for a thrilling storyline.  So, to sum up, it's very French.

Léa Seydoux (her third appearance after No Time To Die and Crimes Of The Future) does do an excellent job though - you do believe she's agonising over her decisions and her actions are understandable. I'm also going to call out an excellent young performance from Camille Leban Martins - she's a very believable normal child. Pascal Greggory and Melvil Poupaud are both OK, but they are somewhat hobbled by either being unlikeable or unknowable characters. I also can't fault the camerawork - it's not at all flashy and draws you in to the various (also not flashy) locations.

But, unfortunately, it's just not interesting enough for me, I'm afraid - it is well acted and well shot and it's not bad, it's just not great.  If you fancy it, then it's available to stream on MUBI or to rent in all the usual places, but you'd need to be in the mood for something particularly French.

#38 - Short, if nothing else
#36 - Why?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves