I'll answer you now

Continuing my trip up The Guardian's top 50 films of 2023

#38 :  Strange Way Of Life

Pedro Pascal and Ethan Hawke sizzle in Almodóvar’s queer cowboy yarn, a dusty lusty tale of long-lost lovers bound by a bloody fate.

Our third film from Pedro Almodóvar and so far they've generally been style over substance, with just enough interesting elements to make them worthy of consideration - but I can't say my expectations are particularly high for this.  Particularly when I go to play it and see it's 31 minutes long - how peculiar!

Even given my low expectations and the short running time, there's really amazingly little substance here in terms of plot - you could summarise the whole film in three sentences.  Sheriff Jake (Ethan Hawke) and Silva (Pedro Pascal) had a gay old time time down in Mexco and 25 years later, Silva rides into Jake's town - but why?  Well, I'm not going to tell you obviously, but I assure you it's not tricky to work it out.

It is well acted - I'm not sure I quite go with The Guardian's description of "sizzle" but the pair of them interact well and are beautifully shot and lit (and being a Western, there's obviously some decent scenery in it as well).  It also has a beautiful last scene which cuts through a load of the stereotypical Western macho bullshit - it's certainly worth staying to the end once you've started it.

Wikipedia tells me this is Pedro's second English language film after - you guessed it, our old favourite, The Human Voice.  The critics were mostly nice enough about it, although to me all the quotes don't really seem to relate to each other or overly to the film.

I don't have a lot to say about this because there's not much here to say much about.  It's all perfectly fine but won't really enrich your life in any way - however, I can't describe it as a waste of time because it's all over in half an hour (although it could have easily come in at fifteen minutes and you wouldn't have missed anything).  If you want it, it's available to stream on MUBI or to rent in all the usual locations but I'd struggle to recommend it.

#37 - Just not that interesting
#39 - Not good

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves