There you go and baby here am I

Continuing my trip back through the 1961 album charts.

22/10/61 : The Buddy Holly Story - Buddy Holly And The Crickets

There really weren't that many people making music in 1961, were there?  It'll be interesting though to see if things are improved by the addition of Crickets from our previous visit with the lad...

Well, I definitely enjoyed it more than my previous visit, but who knows whether that was down to the Crickets or just because I knew more of the tracks - I particularly liked "Raining In My Heart", "Peggy Sue", "That'll Be The Day", "Oh Boy" and "It Doesn't Matter Anymore".  Yes, there's an argument that it's all a bit dated, but it's a very tuneful dated - and it was all a very long time ago now so I think we can forgive them.

We're at #10 in the chart this week on their 17th run of a 23 week run - and this was its 10th run of 17 in all, with it spending 155 weeks on the charts between May '59 and May '64 (at which point they probably just released the next Buddy Holly best-of).  The top five this week were The ShadowsGeorge (#2 and #3), Cliff and South Pacific and we have two new entries from classic artists - Frank Sinatra (#12) and Louis Armstrong (#20).

Wikipedia tells us this was his first posthumous best-of release - they're up to 30 now!  And that's really all it has to say on the matter, other than only four of the songs are credited to the Crickets.

"Customers also listened to" mostly other Buddy Holly best-ofs - I assume that it comes down to people just asking for tracks by Buddy Holly and Amazon just picks stuff randomly.  I enjoyed this though and it's interesting to think what more he might have achieved if he'd lived longer than the gone-too-soon age of 22.

15/10/61 - Better than usual
29/10/61 - Yeah, I liked this!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves