I guess that love is a banana peel

Continuing my trip back through the 1961 album charts.

10/12/61 : Something For Everybody - Elvis Presley

I wonder how many Elvis albums we're going to experience this year - I suspect it might be a few.  My expectations aren't exactly high, but I'm sure it'll be bearable.

Yeah, there's nothing wrong with this.  It's mostly slower tempo numbers with the classic Elvis sound without serving us up any Elvis classics - although I quite liked "In Your Arms" and "I Slipped, I Stumbled, I Fell".  It is dated but it really could be far worse and it was only dishing up what people were crying out for, so I'll let him off.

We're at #5 in the charts this week on his seventh week of a thirteen week run with it having peaked at #2 in its second and fifth week, which is decent enough but interesting when you consider that Blue Hawaii spent longer at #1 than this spent in the chart.  The rest of the top five were the George Mitchell Minstrels (at #1 and #2!), more Elvis and South Pacific and we have two new entries this week from Frank Sinatra (#14) and The Temple Church Choir (#19).

Wikipedia tells me it's his sixth studio album and the second side actually features up-tempo numbers, hence the album title (but I really don't remember them being that up-tempo).  And that's about all it has to say on the matter other than it got to #1 in the US.

"Customers also listened to" a variety of Elvis themed albums - the fans don't stray far from the path of true Elvisness.  This isn't a great album but I liked it more than I was expecting to for an Elvis album that I didn't know any of the tracks - but there's really only so much you can say about these things!

03/12/61 - What is this?
17/12/61 - A phenomenally successful album

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves